Derby day despair as Fifers collapse


DESPITE getting off to a flying start, East Fife’s derby dream quickly turned into a nightmare as Cowdenbeath romped to victory.

Methil boss John Robertson admitted after the game that the three points were lost during the first 25 minutes of a second half which saw the visitors dominate.

Ryan Wallace netted an early opener for the home side when some good work by Rob Ogleby, who managed to haul three Cowden players out of position, allowed him to net from close range.

But the visitors quickly grabbed a foot-hold in the game, with Greig Stewart twice finding himself one-on-one with East Fife ‘keeper Mark Ridgers.

Stewart should have done a lot better with his attempts, which saw Ridgers save the first and then watch on as his second sailed harmlessly over the crossbar.

Cowden’s Marc McKenzie tested Ridgers as well with a drive from a tight angle that the big goalie did well to get down to and turn around his post.

The home side managed to weather the storm during the opening half, though, and went into the dressing room one up.

But Colin Cameron’s men came out to start the second 45 in determined fashion and it wasn’t long before they managed to pull level.

Jordan Morton pulled yet another decent save out of Ridgers but the Blue Brazil were quickly on the attack again.

Scott Linton did well to get on the end of a looping cross and sent a header high over the head of the East Fife ‘keeper and into the net.

The visitors were unsuprisingly boosted by the goal and turned the screw further, trying to nab a second.

It eventually came when Jon Robertson collected a Ridgers clearance and was able to pick his spot in an empty net to put his side one up.

David Muir thought he’d pulled East Fife level with 10 minutes left when he nodded in a Bobby Linn corner, only for referee Iain Brines to blow for an infringement.

With the clock ticking down, Morton put the result out of doubt when he turned in a David Cowan strike.

Following the game, boss Robertson said: “We got off to a good start and everything was going to plan for us.

“We just about did enough to be in front at half time, but Cowdenbeath won it, for me, with a really good 25-minute spell at the start of the second half.

“Our boys didn’t show the same desire as they did during that period.

“Their first goal gave them a lift and we went back to the East Fife of old.”

East Fife - Ridgers, Durie, Park, Ovenstone, White, Muir, Linn (McQuade 78), Smith, Ogleby (Hislop 86), Wallace, Johnstone (Sloan 65). Subs (not used) Cook, Brown.

Cowdenbeath - Flynn, Cowan, Adamson, O’Brien (Cameron 80), Armstrong, Mbu, McKenzie (Naismith 62), Robertson, Linton, Stewart (Coull 74), Morton. Subs (not used) - Ramsay, Bejanoui.

Referee - I. Brines.

Attendance - 1022.

Starcheck ratings - Mark Ridgers 3 points, David Muir 2, Rob Ogleby 1.

Starcheck table - Ryan Wallace 23, Mark Ridgers 15, Bobby Linn 14, Scott Durie 9, Craig Johnstone 9, John Ovenstone 7, Rob Ogleby 7, Michael Brown 6, Darren Smith 6, Matthew Park 5, Steve Campbell 3, David White 3, David Muir 3, Chris Innes 2, Steve Hislop 1, Lloyd Young 1.