East Fife 0-2 Queen’s Park

"When you create as many chances as we did you have to score more." Gary Naysmith.
"When you create as many chances as we did you have to score more." Gary Naysmith.

East Fife first game since the end of November ended in a disappointing defeat in Methil.

The Fifers started with the incentive of knowing that a win could see them hit second place in League Two.

But despite dominating the opening exchanges, the home side was unable to get in behind and breach a well drilled Queen’s defence.

It took the visitors a good 20 minutes to get out of their half and pose any sort of real threat themselves - but the opening created the game’s best chance when Chris Duggan fired off the post.

East Fife had the bulk of play but it was Queen’s who had the better of the clear chances created.

Sean Burns was the next to get a sight of goal but his strike flashed wide of the post.

On the stroke of half time the Fifers had keeper Ryan Goodfellow to thank when he was off his line quickly to charge down Gavin Mitchell’s strike.

But Mitchell did manage to find a way past the Fife number one shortly after the break as the visitors took the lead.

A Jamie McKernon free-kick was charged down by the East Fife wall only for the ball to break to the Queen’s midfielder who rifled home.

East Fife had failed to sustain any sort of real pressure on the Queen’s goal and fell further behind with 63 minutes gone.

Mitchell burst to the touchline and squared an inch perfect pass back for Paul Woods who was afforded an easy tap in from a yard out.

Boss Gary Naysmith said: “When you have a break for 17 days like we have and you have three players starting who haven’t started for a long time it can go one of two ways.

“It’ll either work that you’re revitalised, energetic and the players coming back give you a lift or it’ll go the other way and you look like a team which hasn’t played for 17 days with players who have been out for a long time.

“Unfortunately for us that’s how we looked.”