East Fife 3-0 Montrose

Gary Naysmith's Fifers are within touching distance of the League Two title.
Gary Naysmith's Fifers are within touching distance of the League Two title.

They’re almost there.

While all around them are losing their heads, East Fife are keeping theirs and as a result are just one win away from the League Two title.

It’s so close the Fifers can almost taste it, and with three games left to grab just one win, the champagne is most definitely on ice.

Of course, there’s still a job to be done, but things are very much in East Fife’s hands after a 3-0 win over Montrose at Bayview.

Next up is a difficult trip to face Clyde which is followed by a visit to Berwick before the hosting of East Stirlingshire.

Looking at that run in, nobody will admit it, of course, but things look very good for the Methil men.

They’re in a great position, and it’s a position they more than deserve to be in.

When the going got tough at the business end of the season the Fifers rolled their sleeves up and went on a run of title winning form while fellow hopefuls Clyde, Queen’s Park, Elgin and Annan stuttered and tossed points away.

The League Two title could now be wrapped up at Broadwood on Saturday.

It’s a championship the Fifers have gone out and grabbed.

In recent weeks the starting XI has started at a ferocious pace in games and blown sides out of the water in the opening exchanges.

That was the case again at Bayview as Montrose were dispatched.

Three goals in the space of 11 first half minutes and the job was done.

Scott Mercer, Jason Kerr and Jamie Insall had already signalled East Fife’s intent within the first few minutes and it was pretty clear a goal was around the corner.

It duly came when Kerr’s drive from distance was touched home by Jonathan Page.

Just two minutes later it was 2-0.

Mo conceded a free-kick on the corner of their box.

The visiting defence was back in numbers, picking up their men expecting Stevie Campbell to whip a delivery into the box.

Instead Campbell whipped his delivery into the top corner of the net.

Number three came when Naysmith split the Montrose backline with a clever through ball which was picked up by Nathan Austin.

He raced one on one with Jordan Miller and the end result was barely in doubt.

The visitors had been absolutely battered but, to their credit, managed to steady the ship and ensured no further scoring.

At the end of the 90 they were just another victim of East Fife’s ruthless pursuit of the title.