Fifers frustrated as Clyde nab 1-0 win

Kevin Smith finds his route to goal blocked by the stubborn Clyde defence.
Kevin Smith finds his route to goal blocked by the stubborn Clyde defence.

East Fife could still be out at Bayview trying to score by the time you read this and would be continuing to draw a blank.

It was just one of those days in front of goal for the Fifers who threw everything bar the kitchen sink at a Clyde side who had won just once since the season started before arriving in Methil.

But East Fife found Bully Wee ‘keeper Alan Martin in inspired form as the goalie pulled of a series of fine saves in the opening half in particular.

Had Martin not been on his game, East Fife could have been home and hosed by the time Scott McManus netted what turned out to be the game’s only goal for Clyde.

The Methil men could have gone second on Saturday had they managed to see off Clyde - but it just simply wasn’t to be.

What’s important now for Gary Naysmith and his side is that the game is consigned to the past as nothing more than a blip during a spell of really impressive form and they get back on track on Saturday when Annan visit.

To their credit, Clyde didn’t look like a side who deserved to be scratching around the bottom of the league and more than held their own against a Fife team which had taken 10 points from their previous 12.

Kevin Smith looked to get the Fifers off to a flyer when he rifled in a drive which Martin saved.

The chances kept coming for East Fife and Ross Brown was inches away from breaking the deadlock with a curler which sailed just over the bar.

Martin was by far the busier of the two ‘keepers and he again kept East Fife at bay when he tipped a Fraser Mullen effort around the post.

Jon McShane was the next to find Martin equal to his strike when he beat away a well taken volley before Liam Smith crashed his strike wide of the post.

With East Fife continuing to pester the Clyde goal, the home side managed to break the deadlock against the run of play.

Ewan Moyes gave away a foul on the edge of the 18 yard box, picking up a booking which would haunt him later in the game.

Andy Gibson swung the set-piece in on goal and the ball ended up breaking for McManus who fired home.

Moyes headed for an early bath during the second half after again committing a foul on the edge of his box.

Clyde threw up the shutters to protect their 1-0 win against the 10 men of East Fife by hauling every player behind the ball when the Methil men went on the attack.

In the closing stages McShane was offered another chance to level but, typically, found the Clyde ‘keeper behind his header.