Fifers have every right to feel hard done by after 3-2 loss

Scott Smith is mobbed after his first half equaliser.
Scott Smith is mobbed after his first half equaliser.

Whether or not Gary Naysmith will face any disciplinary action for comments made after the match about the game officials remains to be seen.

Naysmith, who has played at the highest level both domestically and internationally, claimed the display from Craig Charleston and his assistants had been the worst he’d seen during his time in football.

But if the gaffer is to be hauled in front of the game’s top brass then he’ll have the backing of nearly 500 East Fife fans who formed the exact same opinion as he did.

This was demonstrated at the full-time whistle as Bayview’s main stand threatened to overspill onto the park with fans utterly livid at decisions to award a penalty for a hard, but fair, tackle by Allan Walker and the subsequent red cards flashed at Jamie Beaton, Walker himself and Caolan McAleer.

Having had the benefit of watching the penalty incident and all three red cards it could certainly be argued that the Fifers were hard done by the lot.

One poor decision against your club during a heated cup tie is bad enough - but four? Well it’s no surprise the normally pretty reserved home support almost spewed over onto the park.

But in amongst all of this a football game was played out with East Fife unable to make their way through to the fourth round of the Scottish Cup.

Craig Dargo gave Berwick Rangers an early lead but, to their credit the Fifers, who had slipped to a dismal 3-0 defeat to Queen’s Park seven days before, refused to let their heads go down and pulled level within a minute with Scott Smith firing home a free-kick.

The game was swinging from end to end in a pulsating cup-tie and it was the visitors who grabbed the third goal.

Dargo again did the damage when he flicked a Kerr Young cross into the net.

But the Fifers showed their character once more and Walker headed home a Scott Smith corner.

Ref Charleston awarded a penalty against the Fifers after Walker looked to have won the ball cleanly and Lee Currie put Berwick back ahead.

East Fife were reduced to ten men when Beaton was involved in nothing more than a tangle.

Walker soon joined him when he raised his hands towards Andy Russell.

However, Walker’s actions were at most a push, certainly not a punch, and the second yellow was ridiculous.

Caloan McAleer was the next to go after a coming together with Paul Currie.