Fifers make their point in 2-2 draw

Liam Smith celebrates after scoring against the Spiders.
Liam Smith celebrates after scoring against the Spiders.

Bayview boss Gary Naysmith was honest in his assessment of this game when he said the one point was all his side had really deserved.

That’s not to say that it was a particularly bad performance, just that the Fifers hadn’t really created enough in the final third of the park to merit the win.

East Fife have really kick-started their season in recent weeks, arguably putting in their best performance since Naysmith took over last weekend in Arbroath, so that should be taken into consideration.

There will still be some frustration, though, that they weren’t able to build on that win at Gayfield by taking all three points at home.

But it’s possible to get too hung up on what East Fife did or didn’t deserve and fail to accept the game for what it was - two sides committed to open and attacking play with a couple of stunning finishes thrown in to enjoy too.

East Fife started at a terrific pace and could have been a couple of goals up within the opening couple of minutes.

A Caolan McAleer strike would have put East Fife into the lead had Willie Muir not tipped the ball round the post and then from the resultant corner a Kevin Smith drive was cleared off the line.

McAleer was having arguably his best game in the black and gold of East Fife and opened the scoring with a really well taken goal.

He punished the visiting defence for not getting out to him quickly enough by curling his effort from outside the box into Muir’s top corner.

Darren Miller fired a free-kick past Allan Fleming’s post a short time later but the Queen’s defender found his range when he rifled a second free-kick past the Fife ‘keeper to square things up.

East Fife had a good spell of pressure at the start of the second half and almost nudged themselves back into the lead through Steven Campbell.

But it was the visitors, who deserve praise for their attacking contribution to the game, who grabbed the third goal.

The East Fife defence was back in enough numbers but nobody was able to bring a halt to a Queen’s Park attack and Paul Woods fired low into Fleming’s goal from the corner of the box.

A defeat would have been hard on East Fife and they were relived to pull level with just a few minutes remaining.

Ross Campbell looked to have been fouled inside the Queen’s Park box but Liam Smith wasted no time in protesting by smashing home the loose ball.

With the clock ticking down Queen’s had a chance to pull ahead again but Fife ‘keeper Fleming saved Ciaran McElroy’s drive.