Fifers make their point in thriller

Gary Naysmith's Fifers have a strong grip on top spot.
Gary Naysmith's Fifers have a strong grip on top spot.

With just a few games of a title chasing season to go, ordinarily this really isn’t the time to be dropping points at home.

However, there were no grumbles of discontent from any fans leaving Bayview at the end of this draw.

For 90 minutes they were treated to one of the most pulsating 1-1 encounters you’re likely to see with there being little doubt that a share of the spoils was a fair end result.

Both sides went toe to toe in a high class, high tempo, blood and guts lower league encounter where both knew there was a lot at stake.

For the Fifers, they’re closing in on a league title with a chasing pack breathing down their neck.

Queen’s still harbour title ambitions of their own, but more importantly want to make sure they reach the end of season play-offs at least.

It led to at times a nervy 90 minutes when the ambitions of either side lay on a knife edge.

The Fifers left the park at the end of the game not knowing if they had surrendered the lead to Clyde, but learned in fact they had opened up a two point gap on the second placed side due to their 2-1 reversal to Arbroath.

East Fife started the game in their now custom ferocious fashion and broke the deadlock after just two minutes.

A long ball through the field wasn’t dealt with by the Queen’s defence and Jamie Insall took full advantage, racing in on goal and beating Willie Muir.

They went close to putting the game beyond a Queen’s side which has a reputation for solid defending but looked totally out of sorts.

Insall saw his drive blocked by Muir before Jason Kerr sent a volley well wide of goal.

Queen’s are a good side, although they hadn’t shown it in the opening stages.

But they gradually got a grip of things and restored parity when Chris Duggan fired home a loose ball after Liam Kelly had saved from Jamie McKernon.

It was game on, but neither side seemed too keen to really press forward and leave themselves exposed.

They both knew each other’s quality, a quality added to from a Fife perspective when Nathan Austin was introduced from the bench.

The side’s top scorer had the ball in the net late on but was judged to have fouled in the build up.

The whistle blew and East Fife nudged another point clearer of Clyde, and another point closer towards that end of season title party.