Four points in two games, but Fifers still hit bottom

Craig Johnstone celebrates his equaliser
Craig Johnstone celebrates his equaliser

East Fife found themselves slip to the bottom of the league despite taking a good point from Stenny.

The Fifers’ position demonstrates just how tight League One will be this season with just three points separating them from fourth placed Ayr.

It took a dubious penalty to get Stenny in front, however, the Fifers managed to get back to equality on the stroke of half time with a well worked goal.

They did have the better of the second half, but could not get a second counter and the last quarter span hour saw the home side revive, making a few changes, so a point was perhaps not a bad return.

The most promising attack for the visitors saw Craig Johnstone, Robbie Neilson and Ross Brown combine to give Pat Clarke a chance, but he was wide with his effort. Liam Buchanan then had a shot blocked.

Stenhousemuir took the lead when referee Dallas decided that Greg Paterson had fouled D. Smith as he tried to get to a through ball and awarded a penalty.

John Gemmell drilled the kick down the middle to put his side one up.

There was a claim for a penalty at the other end, when Johnstone was eased aside when chasing a ball into the home area, but the referee waved that one away.

Against the run of play the visitors equalised in the last minute of the half.

A Buchanan pass released Clarke free down the left and his perfect cross was into Craig Johnstone’s path for the skipper to equalise.

Right after the restart, Clarke almost had a chance from a Durie cross but the ball would not sit down for him.

McBride lashed over following a good build-up.

Despite their territorial advantage, East Fife had to be wary, in particular when a Campbell tackle proved crucial on Higgins.

Cyrus Moosavi and Nathan Austin came on for Neilson and Clarke as the Fifers continued to push forward. Buchanan and McBride both had failed attempts at goal.

In the last quarter of an hour the home side seemed to be rejuvenated and Dickson wasted a decent opportunity. Jonny Stewart came on for Brown as time ran down.

Keeper Greg Paterson had to rush from his charge to intercept a through ball in the nick of time. Another Campbell tackle proved crucial when he dispossessed Gemmell as he was about to shoot.

Paterson then had to make a good save from a tight angle and a Naismith interception helped the cause.

East Fife’s last opportunity fell to Moosavi, who got on the end of an Austin pass, but he couldn’t finish.