Montrose 0-2 East Fife

East Fife won their first league game of the season at Links Park.
East Fife won their first league game of the season at Links Park.

East Fife had to wait longer than they'd hoped to get their first win of the new league season - but when it arrived on Saturday, nobody could deny they were well worth it.

Montrose are a good side, who'll win more than they'll lose this season, but found themselves second best on their home patch.

Good recent performances against Cowdenbeath and Raith Rovers, and also in patches against Arbroath, signalled that the first league win of the campaign was only around the corner for the Methil club.

They went out and grabbed it at Links Park with first half goals from Ross Davidson and Jonny Court enough to seal the win.

Crucially the Fifers kept a clean sheet as well, meaning it was a good day across the park for the side.

Their battling performance was epitomised by an outstanding late triple save from Brett Long.

Boss Darren Young said: "We had to work a bit near the end and were maybe a bit nervous with not having won yet this season.

"But I think the damage had been done in the first half to be honest.

"We scored two good goals and could have had another couple.

"Overall it was a great performance and you saw both sides of the team.

"Attacking-wise we were getting the ball forward and going up and supporting in the box.

"In the second half we changed things to make us hard to beat and it worked.

"Brett has had an unbelievable triple save and everybody played their part."

East Fife were forced to soak up some early pressure as the hosts started the game well, Long pulling out a decent stop from a Terry Masson effort.

But the Fifers weathered the storm and grew into the game themselves, Court's header forcing a save out of Allan Fleming.

They didn't have to wait much longer for the opening goal of the game - and what a goal it was.

Some neat build up play involving Anton Dowds and Pat Slattery saw striker Dowds lay-off the ball on the edge of the box to Davidson.

It was teed up perfectly for the midfielder and he needed no second invite, lashing an unstoppable strike past Fleming.

East Fife helped themselves to another before the interval, with Court first to react to stab a loose ball into the net after Fleming had parried a Scott Agnew drive.

If the first half showed East Fife at their best going forward, the second was a display of what they could do at the back.

As you'd expect, Mo came out firing after the break as they tried to salvage something from the game.

The Fifers stood up to the test, and looked solid at the back, marshalled by the excellent Daryll Meggatt.

Davidson's first half goal was sensational, but at the back 'keeper Brett Long pulled off his own moment of brilliance.

Firstly he got down well to beat away a long range drive from Chris Antoniazzi.

The loose ball fell kindly to Martin Rennie eight yards out and he thought he'd pulled one back only for Long to get up and keep out his strike.

Again, though, the ball rolled into Rennie's path for a second bite of the cherry and again he got a decent shot away.

Long was back up on his feet quickly though and saved for a third time.

The triple whammy knocked the stuffing out of Mo and East Fife held on for a richly deserved three points.