Spectacular strike seals Stenny win

Ryan Wallace scores for East Fife at STenhousemuir, Sept 2011. Stenhousemuir won 2-1.
Ryan Wallace scores for East Fife at STenhousemuir, Sept 2011. Stenhousemuir won 2-1.

EAST Fife managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory on Saturday at Ochilview.

They got back into the game in the second half, having been second best in the first, and fashioned a brilliant equaliser.

However goal-scoring hero Ryan Wallace missed a great chance with minutes to go to take the three points.

The Warriors immediately went up the pitch and, literally seconds later, scored what proved to be the winner.

Andrew Cook came in for his first start of the season and John Ovenstone returned from injury, replacing Robert Sloan and Steven Campbell.

The visitors were the more lively outfit early on and a David Muir shot from 25 yards was on target but did not trouble Brown in the home goal.

Another Fife move saw Ryan Wallace and Bobby Linn combine to get Rob Ogleby into a dangerous position but he could not get his effort on target.

Stenhousemuir came into the game and a spell of pressure could have ended badly as Scott Durie and Mark Ridgers got in a mix-up, leading to a fruitless corner. The keeper soon after made a decent save from a Murray shot.

The next attack proved more fruitful when a quick pass from the halfway line found Kean in space. He thrashed home the opener from outside the area, giving Ridgers little chance as the ball dipped in behind him.

The keeper was soon involved again when he saved a McMillan header following a corner and minutes later he saved from Thomson.

The home side held the upper hand until the interval but could not get a second counter.

East Fife were on the front foot early in the second half and only a timely tackle by McMillan stopped Ogleby from being one-to-one with the keeper.

However, the home side still provided a threat and Ridgers made a wonderful save low down at the post from Rodgers.

The game was all square, however, after 56 minutes a training ground move saw Linn play a free kick to Darren Smith whose pass was perfect for Wallace to crash home the equaliser, giving the home keeper no chance.

The last few minutes saw chances for both sides. But the turning point came when the Stenny keeper dwelt on the ball on the edge of his area and was robbed.

Dalziel got the ball over the keeper but it came back off the bar and fell to Wallace, who appeared to have an easy tap-in. Inexplicably, he dallied, and the ball was cleared upfield.

It proved very costly as the home side seconds later got the winner, when Rodgers scored with a glorious volley.

StenhousemuirBrown, Lyle, Hamilton, Corrigan, McMillan, Thomson, Ferguson (Dickson 76), Rodgers, Kean, Paton, Murray. Subs (not used) Quinn, McCafferty, Fraser, McCluskey.

East Fife ‑ Ridgers, Durie, Cook, Ovenstone, White, Muir, Linn (Johnstone 82), Smith (Sloan 75), Ogleby (Dalziel 66), Wallace, Park. Subs (not used) Hislop, Brown.

Referee ‑ J. Beaton.

Attendance ‑ 642.

Starcheck ‑ Ridgers 3 points, White 2, Ovenstone 1.

Starcheck table - Ryan Wallace 14, Bobby Linn 11, Mark Ridgers 9, Scott Durie 7, Michael Brown 6, Rob Ogleby 6, Matthew Park 5, Craig Johnstone 4, Steve Campbell 3, John Ovenstone 3 Darren Smith 3, Chris Innes 2, , David White 2, Steve Hislop 1, David Muir 1, Lloyd Young 1.