First win of the season for Kirkcaldy & Dysart

Action from Saturday's first win of the season for KirkcaldyAction from Saturday's first win of the season for Kirkcaldy
Action from Saturday's first win of the season for Kirkcaldy
Kirkcaldy & Dysart ended their winless start to the season with six of best away to Lochmaben in the Challenge Cup.

The visitors started off in determined fashion right from the kick off in the Borders and ended the game with a 6-3 win.

They came close to opening their account after only six minutes when Morgan cut in from the right but his powerful shot was just off target.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The YM continued to press and it was totally against the run of play in the 13th minute that from a poor clearance from keeper Wilson, the home team took the lead with a cracking first time volley from 25 yards which flew into the net via the crossbar.

This however only spurred the visitors on and in the next five minutes the game was totally turned on its head with a wonderful hat trick from youngster Ricki Cooper.

The first on 14th minute was a superb 25 yard free kick into the top corner, the second on 16 minutes was a solo effort past two defenders then passed it through the keeper legs, and on 19 minutes the visitors were awarded a penalty for hand ball and Cooper completed his hat trick from a rebound after his spot kick was initially saved.

The YM were now playing good football and controlling the game with a number of half chances, and it was no surprise when they increased their lead when, after an excellent cross from Ireland, Ronnie Martin headed powerfully home at the back post on 27 minutes.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The second half started off with the visitors still in control but not pushing on as they did the first 45 minutes. Despite this, goal number five arrived on 56 minutes when substitute Buchan’s shot was well saved but the rebound was tapped in by substitute Soutar.

To the home team’s credit they didn’t give up and were rewarded with a second goal on 66 minutes, with another powerful free kick which beat keeper Wilson to his right side.

Kirkcaldy’s sixth goal arrived on 80 minutes when a Buchan shot hit the post and youngster Soutar once again was on hand to tap in the rebound.

Some poor defending allowed the home team to breakaway on the 83rd minute to score a third.