Friendly victory sets Tayport up for cup tie

editorial image

TAYPORT’S Emirates Scottish Cup tie against Petershill fell victim to the weather, being postponed for the seventh time after a Saturday morning pitch inspection.

The Canniepairt was not the only venue to suffer, with most local games being called off.

‘Port did at least manage to arrange a friendly against Dundee Violet on the Gussie Park Astroturf against Dundee Violet.

In the opposition ranks were old warhorse Gary Ogilvie and striker Ross Lunan, who is now back at Violet on a permanent basis, after a brief spell at the Canniepairt.

Most of the Tayport squad took part in the game, which Willie Garner’s side won by the odd goal in three.

Both teams had openings during the first half.

Ronnie Kenneth, back from nearly two months in Australia, without having missed a competitive game, forced the Violet ‘keeper to claw away a netbound header.

Lee Bryce also went close, easily outstripping Ogilvie, only to knock his effort wide of the target.

The Pansies had a few opportunities from around the edge of the area, but woeful shooting saw them draw a blank.

So, goalless at the break, a couple of goalkeeping blunders livened up the start of the second half.

Robbie Henderson, a half-time introduction, shot straight at the Violet custodian, but somehow the ball hit the back of the net.

Moments later, Neal Ferrie, who had replaced Frazer Fitzpatrick, allowed a long-range strike to bounce out of his grasp and a follow-up was rammed home from close-range, drawing Violet level.


With around 10 minutes to go, Tayport notched a winner.

Robbie Henderson fed James Russell and he sent a typically unerring strike searing into the net from the right side of the box.

All in all, it was a decent workout for the players.

Neither Derek Wemyss nor Barry Donachie took part, but they are not far from fitness, so Willie Garner will hope to have a strong squad from which to select, if the Petershill match finally gets the go-ahead tomorrow.

If so, kick-off will be at 1.45pm and, for up-to-date information, supporters should ‘phone the newsline, on 01382 552755, or visit the club’s website, at