Glens end on top in five-goal thriller

Patterson scores Glens' second goal
Patterson scores Glens' second goal

Glenrothes made the trip up to Broughty Athletic’s Whitton Park, looking to follow on from the victory against Kirkcaldy YM, despite a three-week weather-enforced winter break.

The Glens settled into the game quicker than their opponents, forging forward at every opportunity whilelimiting Broughty to the odd counter attack.

The visitors took advantage of their superior possession in the 10th minute when a Sean Simpson corner placed the ball perfectly into the box, where Gavin Moffatt rose from eight yards out and powered in a header which gave Broughty ‘keeper Ross no chance.

Glens kept the pressure up on the Broughty defence and could consider themselves unlucky not to double their lead when Sean Simpson hit the post from 20 yards out.

Despite the Glens controlling the game, Broughty equalised in the 26th minute after they won a free kick 20 yards out. Broughty’s Winter watched his shot drift past the Glens’ wall and into the bottom corner.

However, it did not take Glenrothes long to retake the lead on the half-hour mark. An Ian Griffin cross was met by Sean Simpson, whose effort was knocked away by the keeper only as far as Craig Paterson, who calmly slotted the ball into the back of the net.

Just as the Glens looked to be taking a lead into the break, Broughty equalised after they won the ball at the edge of the box and the rebound from the shot was put away easily by Neave from six yards.

The Glens started the second half where they left off, and the pressure eventually paid off in the 58th minute after Darren Thomson, making his first Glens appearance in two years, was fouled in the box. Captain John Martin stood up to take the penalty, sending the Broughty ‘keeper the wrong way and the ball into the bottom corner.

After the goal, the Glens continued to put pressure on the Broughty defence, with the home side limited to the odd long ball over the top. Glens continued to dominate with some good creative pieces of play from the midfield.

Thomson proved he had not missed a step and could consider himself unlucky not to get on the scoresheet.

As the game entered the final 10 minutes, it was the Glens who looked more likely to score and they held the Broughty attackers at bay, despite more than five minutes of added-on time.

Glenrothes will now play their first home match in over two months against Pumpherston Juniors on Saturday February 15, 2.00 p.m. kick-off.

Team: Smith, Moffatt, MacRae, Grierson, Pearson, Paterson, Griffin, Thomson, Martin, Simpson, Celentano. Subs: Wylie (on 68), Redpath (gk), Deas, Trialist.