Glens go down fighting but relegation fears remain

Gregg Meilkle was on target for Glens
Gregg Meilkle was on target for Glens

Glenrothes Juniors 1, Dalkeith Thistle 2

Glens started the game against the promotion candidates and won a free kick in the first minute, which was rather wasted.

An excellent move between Meikle and Martin had the away defence scrambling the ball for a corner then, at the other end, a cross-cum shot from Tansey was saved by C. Gay.

Glens conceded a foul 25 yards which the away side took quickly and caught the home defence off guard – only a superb tackle from Moffat saved the day.

From another free kick, the Glens’ defence had to look lively to clear the ball for a corner and Tansey, who was causing one or two problems, had an effort saved by C. Gay.

On 20 minutes, Glens took the lead after a scramble in the 18-yard box when the ball fell to Meikle, who slotted home.

Tansey had an effort on target but C. Gay saved well, while at the other end, a long ball from defence had Martin racing in on goal, only to see his effort go wide.

From another long ball, Martin again broke clear but was beaten to it by Peterek.

From a corner kick, Gavin had a header cleared off the line by Moffat only for the ball to fall at the feet of Tansey, who blasted over the bar.

A 30-yard shot from Bissett just missed the target and, with Glens looking to increase their lead, an effort from Anderson was saved by Paterek.

At the start of the second half, Glens had a penalty turned down by the referee when Paterek seemingly pulled down Meikle, only for a foul to be given against the Glens player.

From the free kick, the away side went right to the other end and equalised through Pusledzki.

The visiting side were now causing the Glens a few problems and Bissett had to look sharp to clear a dangerous situation.

On 63 minutes, Dalkeith took the lead when the Glens defence did not deal with a cross ball from the left which allowed Morris to head across goal to the waiting Tansey who had an easy tap in.

As the Glens looked to equalise, an effort from J. Gay, who had replaced Sawers, was spilled by Paterek but found no takers.

After a long lay-off, Scarborough replaced McBride.

From a Glens corner, the away side broke straight up the park and only some stout defending saved the day, while Glens almost grabbed a goal back when an effort from Napier was cleared off the line, the same happening in the final minute when J. Gay almost scored.

Glenrothes: C. Gay, Bissett, Wallace, Moffat, McBride, Anderson, Forbes, Napier, Martin, Meikle, Sawers. Subs: J. Gay, Scarborough, Pearson, Trialist, Newman.

This was the second 2-1 defeat in a week for the Glens, having lost by the same scoreline away at league leaders Tayport last Wednesday.

Glens had got off to the best possible start, scoring within three minutes through Napier but, on 15 minutes, a poor header back to C. Gay fell short and he could only manage to push the ball into the path of Milne, who shot into the empty net.

On 26 minutes, the home side scored what proved to be the winning goal when a long ball caught the Glens defence square and Milne ran on to shoot past C. Gay.

On Saturday, Glens play their last away game of the season when they travel to Dundee to face Broughty Athletic.