Glens goalie’s wonder goal!

Jamie Roberts scores a goal in the first minute with a kick from hand
Jamie Roberts scores a goal in the first minute with a kick from hand

GLENS secured a comfortable first victory of the season in a windswept game, despite playing with 10 men for 70 minutes.

The game started in bizarre circumstances as a clearance from inside his own box by Glens’ goalkeeper Jamie Roberts was carried upfield by the wind, catching the Livingston ‘keeper off guard, and the ball bounced over his head and into the back of the net.

After the goal Glens took control of the game but suffered a setback when the referee decided to controversially send off Gary Leighton after what seemed like a normal competition for the ball.

After the red card Livingston came back into the game and as the half came to a close they unleashed a barrage of attacks without creating much in front of goal.

Glens regained control of the game in the early stages of the second half and doubled their lead in the 64th minute after a shot from Craig Patterson was handled in the box. John Martin stood up to take the penalty, which he hammered past the diving goalie.

Glens reasserted their domination by controlling possession and they got their third in the 84th minute after Johnny McRae was fouled in the box.

This time Lee Celentano stood up to take the penalty and slotted it into the corner of the net.

Glens completed the scoring in the 87th minute after a fantastic run by McCrae was crossed and met by the leg of a Livingston defender, who guided the ball straight into the back of his own net.

There was away night disappointment for Glens last Tuesday as they suffered their first defeat of the season at Oakley.

Glens were first to strike the back of the net in the 23rd minute after Gavin Gray capitalised on a poor clearance from the Oakley ‘keeper to slot home.

Oakley got their equaliser in the 36th minute with a fantastic 25-yard strike and then grabbed what proved to be the winner a couple of minutes before half time when a free kick was met at the back post and slotted into the back of the net.

Glens pressured the Oakley defence throughout the second half but could not find an equaliser. The closest they came was an Aiden Hendry strike from 20 yards that hit the crossbar.