Glens have to settle for draw

Glens' Thomson challenges for the ball
Glens' Thomson challenges for the ball

Glenrothes Juniors 1, Bathgate Thistle 1

In the first minute, Glens’ John Martin broke clear, but was brought down by Bathgate’s Robinson. From the resultant free kick, Napier headed just wide.

Five minutes later, the Glens went close again when a shot from Griffin just skimmed the top of the crossbar.

The visitors responded in the 12th minute – a 25-yard shot from Bathgate’s Jack went wide of the target.

Then some slackness in the Glens defence allowed Swan in on goal, but Kevin Smith in the Glenrothes goal saved the effort.

The Glens continued to press for a goal and on 37 minutes, they won a free kick in a dangerous position with Reid making an excellent save from Celentano. Another free kick in a dangerous position from which Bathgate’s Byle received a yellow card, saw the resultant free kick put over the bar by Martin.

The second half got underway with a bit more urgency from the Glens, with a break down the right from Kinnes finished with a poor cross.

Bathgate were still able to put the Glens under pressure, but the defence stood strong and dealt with everything the visitors could throw at them.

The home side had yet another set piece free kick go close, with Garry Leighton directing a strong header goalward only for Reid to pull off another fine save.

The Glens then had a great opportunity to take the lead when Martin broke clear yet again and crossed the ball to the advancing Kinnes, but the ball took a bad bobble in the box, preventing Kinnes from the proverbial tap-in.

However, it was Bathgate who took the lead in the 67th minute, when a cross ball was missed by the Glens defence and bundled over by Jack.

Sean Simpson replaced Callum Kinnes on 75 minutes, and this proved to be significant as in the 82nd minute, Simpson crossed a free kick on the left side for John Martin to finish from a yard out.

Glens were now pushing for a winner, and a minute later, a header from the busy Griffin just slipped past the post. Steven Leslie replaced the injured Griffin in the last few minutes, and he should have scored the winner a few minutes later, but missed from a few yards out.

The game finished 1-1 in a game that the Glens, had they taken their chances, could have won easily.

Glenrothes: Smith, Grierson, Anderson, Leighton, Pearson, Napier, Kinnes, Thomson, Martin, Griffin, Celentano. Subs: Simpson (75) Moffat, Leslie (85), Paterson, MacRae (60)

Bathgate: Reid, Watson, Lawson, Coyle, Robinson, Byle, Wales, Baird, Lurinsky, Jack, swan. Subs: Malone, Easton, Russel, Butler, Brines.

The Glens’ next fixture is at home to Livingstone on 29th March – kick-off 2.30 p.m.