Glens survive in Scottish despite two red cards

John Martin fires home Glenrothes' second goal. Pic: John Hay
John Martin fires home Glenrothes' second goal. Pic: John Hay


Glenrothes were near at full strength for this Scottish Cup third round tie against local rivals Rosyth.

Glens started the match pressing forward at every opportunity and a long ball from Griffin was just too strong for the on rushing Kinnes.

Another long ball had Falconer straying just off side., then a cross from Martin was just too close to Wortley.

At the other end a snap shot from Hutchison slipped just past the post.

Glenrothes won a free kick 35 yards from goal from which Jackson found Falconer whose shot went wide.

As the Glens pressed forward looking for the first goal Martin ran onto a through ball and the day was saved by Wortley rushing from his goal.

Glenrothes finally made the breakthrough on 20 minutes when a corner from Jackson was inexplicably dropped by the ‘keeper allowing Napier to poke the ball home.

Rosyth would only have to wait a couple of minutes to get themselves back into the match when a free kick found Goodwin on his own and he shot home for the equaliser.

Glenrothes regained the lead in the 35th minute when an effort from Falconer hit the post and fell at the feet of Martin who made no mistake.

Rosyth drew level again on 40 minutes when they were awarded a soft penalty.

As the half drew to a close Grierson saved the day for Rosyth with a goal line clearance.

Glens made the first chance of the second half when a cross from Smith was missed by Falconer in front of goal.

The game struggled to get going in the second half as the very heavy pitch took its toll on both sides.

Glenrothes created a couple of chances and efforts from Griffin and Falconer were high and wide respectively.

On 65 minutes Rosyth were reduced to ten men when O’Connor was shown a second yellow.

This urged Glens on and an effort from Falconer was pushed round the post by Wortley before Martin came close when his shot was cleared off the line.

Rosyth came close when an effort from Hampson was tipped over the bar by Small. The away side won three corners on the trot which came to nothing.

Scarborough was introduced for the tiring Falconer before another effort from Hampson just missed the target.

Honeyman came on for Kinnes while a shot from Napier slipped past the post.

Glens were also reduced to ten when Greirson was shown a second yellow.

The last chance of the match went to Hampson whose effort sailed over the bar.

In the last minute Martin was shown a second yellow as Glens finished with nine men.

The replay will take place this Saturday at Rosyth.

Glenrothes: Small, Jackson, Wallace, Griffin, Greirson, Anderson, Kinnes, Napier, Martin, Falconer, Smith. Subs: Honeyman, Scarborough, McKay, Patterson, Bissett.