Hearts star in final

editorial image

STAR travelled to Dallas Doyle Park, Ballingry to take on Lumphinnans Utd in the Fence and Deck Cup final and a large crowd of over 200 were in attendance.

The best chances fell to Lumphinnans with a headed effort from a corner, firstly drawing a good save from Curran with the rebound headed onto the bar and cleared away.

A Kieran McGuire effort that went wide and a Makhouli cross that Ryan Thomson couldn’t connect with was as close as Star came to scoring.

Star started the second half a lot brighter and looked to take the game to Lumphinnans.

But with 10 minutes of the second period gone Star failed to clear their lines inside the 18-yard box and a fine strike into the corner gave Curran no chance and Lumphinnans the lead.

Minutes later they had the chance to increase their lead but squandered the opportunity.

Then in the space of five minutes Star found themselves in front.

Firstly Ryan Thomson received the ball around the penalty spot, swivelled and struck a left-foot shot low into the corner of the net for his 61st goal of the season.

An inswinging Makhouli corner saw the Lumphinnans ‘keeper and defender get in a mess at the near post resulting in the ‘keeper punching the ball into his own net.

Star were now playing some neat football and created some great chances with the keeper making some fine saves from Makhouli and David Thomson.

Martyn Thomson also had a couple of efforts from outside the box that just went wide. As the game neared its end Lumphinnans pushed their centre-half forward and their 6ft 5 keeper also made forays up for free-kicks.

However, Star survived the late aerial bombardment and held on as the final whistle blew.

Captain Paul MacBride was presented with the trophy and he held the cup aloft much to the delight of the Star players, committee and support.

Star Hearts: Curran; Anderson, Bremner, Davidson, Gray, D.Thomson, M.Thomson, MacBrie, McGuire, Makhouli, R.Thomson. Subs - Shields, Martin, McConnell, Bowers, MacDonald.