Injury time winner in crucial tie

Chris Lornie of Kennoway Star Hearts
Chris Lornie of Kennoway Star Hearts
Share this article

KSH headed to Blairgowrie for this crucial North League promotion clash between the teams currently sitting in second and third place.

Ryan Thomson came close with an early effort that slid just wide of the target.

All the early running was being made by KSH but they were caught out with 19 minutes played.

A through ball went over Wilson and although Bremner made the challenge to stop the Blair forward, the ball inadvertently fell kindly into the path of Blair’s number nine, his effort was parried by Watson but again the ball fell back into his path and he had the simple task of rolling into an empty net.

George Field had a couple of efforts at goal and Kyle Wilson almost got in but was deemed to have fouled a Blair defender as pressure mounted on the home side.

KSH restored parity in 29 minutes when they were awarded a penalty after Anderson was tripped in the box by the keeper.

Captain Kevin Byers again took the responsibility on himself and duly side footed calmly into the net for a deserved equaliser.

A free kick from 22 yards out was awarded to KSH with 55 minutes gone.

Kyle Wilson got over the ball and was unlucky as he crashed a superb effort off the bar.

Thomson then had a great chance from a quick Byers free kick but instead off shooting first time he took a couple of touches and the chance was lost.

Blair threatened as the game entered the last 15 minutes or so as a series off free kicks into the KSH box caused undue stress to the travelling support.

George Field then played a neat one two with substitute Chris Lornie but his shot was saved for a corner by the Blair custodian.

With time running out and stoppage time being played KSH forced another corner.

The ball was played to the back post where trialist (Mitchell) fired in a shot that was blocked, the ball rebounded and the defender and trialist both went in for it.

Somehow the ball managed to pop up straight to Chris Lornie who controlled the ball on his chest and then volleyed superbly into the corner from 11 yards out.

Total mayhem ensued as the away contingent went berserk.

A minute after the restart the referee blew for full time in what was a dramatic finale to the match and what was probably a deserved win for KSH who were the better side on the day.

Kennoway - Watson,C.Brown,K.Wilson,Bremner,I,Brown,Murdoch,Craig,Byers,Thomson,Field,Anderson

Subs - Boylan,Lornie,Trialist,Hush,Band

On Saturday KSH are at home to Brechin Vics in a league game at 2.30p.m.