East Fife 0-0 Cove Rangers - in pictures

The break enforced on clubs at a lower league level appeared to have caught up with East Fife and Cove Rangers at Bayview on Saturday.

Monday, 29th March 2021, 11:56 am
Danny Denholm tries his luck for East Fife during the first half

On their return to competitive action last weekend, East Fife were ruthless at Clyde while Cove earned a decent point away from home at Partick Thistle.

Neither side will believe they reached those heights seven days later, defences well on top at Bayview.

It was a game short on clear cut chances, although both sides will feel they were presented with at least one golden, match winning chance.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

For the visitors that came in the second half when Mitch Megginson was handed the chance to score from the penalty spot, only to see his strike stopped by Brett Long.

The home side had their opportunity taken out of their hands when a late move up the park saw Aaron Dunsmore slip the ball to Kevin Smith to net.

But, much to the frustration of the East Fife bench, ref Mike Roncone pulled play back for a free-kick on the edge of the Cove box and failed to play an advantage.

To rub salt into the wounds, Ryan Wallace’s effort from that free-kick came crashing down off the underside of the crossbar.

Nathan Austin returned to Bayview in the black and gold

It was far from the worst 0-0 the Methil pitch has ever witnessed, but both sides just lacked that bit sharpness in the final third to really merit the three points.

There were half chances to open the scoring, Jamie Masson firing high and wide for Cove before Liam Watt collected a Ryan Wallace cutback, only to see his strike blocked on the line by Ryan Strachan.

Home boss Darren Young said: “For the goal we scored at the end, if the ref had allowed play to continue for a second or two rather than his decision of stopping it I don’t think they were in a position to get back in.

"It was a good ball through, across the face and then a goal.

Brett Long stood up to Mitch Megginson's penalty causing the forward to shoot tamely down the middle and his effort blocked by the keeper.

“If he lets it go he can still pull it back and there were a couple of instances in the first half when he let things go and then pulled it back for Cove.

"But sometimes you get them and sometimes you don’t. Overall it was a pretty even game but I think we maybe just edged it.”

The last chance of the game fell to Ryan Wallace but his free-kick came back off the bar
East Fife forward Ryan Wallace tries to make his way beyond Broque Watson
Scott Agnew tries his luck as East Fife press to break the deadlock
Fife midfielder Danny Swanson breaks through the Cove defence. All pic by K Mackay
But Long had to be back on his feet again quickly as Megginson was first to react to the loose ball. Again, though, the goalie made a crucial stop. Pic by Kenny Mackay