East Fife 1-3 Peterhead

A peculiar week for East Fife ended on a flat note at Bayview as the Blue Toon plundered all three points and brought to an end the club's undefeated home record.

Thursday, 29th April 2021, 11:13 pm
Updated Thursday, 29th April 2021, 11:14 pm
Peterhead returned north with all three points. Stock image

Protecting that home record was all that was really at stake for an East Fife side who had their season ended in effect at Airdrie last week.

Peterhead had more to play for, needing a point to secure their safety in the division.

Their need for the win showed and few watching the game could argue they were worth their win

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The game started off well enough for the Fifers.

Danny Swanson again looked a class apart, a player for who the season's end is coming far too soon.

He had an early shot on goal blocked as Peterhead were penned into their own half.

Things looked to be going very much to plan for East Fife when they took the lead on 18 minutes.

Aaron Dunsmore took advantage of a mix-up between Kieran Freeman and Lenny Wilson to sneak the ball in from close range.

Peterhead recovered well and Andrew McCarthy was sent scampering clear on goal after he robbed Ross Dunlop of possession.

Jordan Hart, though, was off his line quickly to block the danger.

Peterhead were worth their equaliser when it arrived minutes before the break.

A neat move involving Daniel Strachan and Ben Armour saw Armour lay the ball off to Derek Lyle deep inside the Fife box.

The veteran striker made no mistake from close range.

The second half belonged to Peterhead as East Fife laboured.

They were ahead minutes after the restart when Scott Agnew's foul on the edge of the box was penalised.

Up stepped McCarthy to blast the set piece beyond Hart.

East Fife managed to get a grip of the ball and went on to dominate their visitors.

But despite all of their possession, Darren Young' side failed to really get in behind the Peterhead defence.

The crucial fourth goal of the game went the way of the Blue Toon.

Again the visiting side were able to get high up the park too easily and Strachan punished East Fife by lashing his strike beyond Hart.

Home boss Darren Young said: "We started off well and got the goal.

"But the goals we lost were very, very poor and come from our own mistakes.

"Peterhead never had really had to break us down, although they pressed us well throughout the game, so fair play to them for that.

"At the start of the second half we looked to get a wee bit of momentum but then kick the ball right out of the park from the centre.

"They then get a free kick after we get caught on the ball and they put it in.

"We had another couple of chances but don't hit the target.

"We didn't test their keeper enough."