Forfar Athletic 2-3 East Fife

With their league seasons over, Forfar Athletic and East Fife slipped off the shackles and produced an end of season thriller at Station Park.

Tuesday, 4th May 2021, 9:41 pm
Updated Tuesday, 4th May 2021, 9:44 pm
East Fife returned to the kingdom with all three points following a 3-2 win at Forfar. Stock image by Kenny Mackay

This was Forfar's final game of the season before they slip down to League Two after being relegated at the weekend.

East Fife's campaign has been finished for a couple of weeks now, and will officially end at Clyde on Thursday, but this was anything but two teams going through the motions.

It was competitive, spirited and not short on quality.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The game had goals - plenty of goals.

Gary Irvine was appointed Forfar boss on a permanent basis in the run up to kick off and his promotion into the manager's role has certainly given Forfar a lift.

Just 11 minutes had gone before the home side took the lead, the impressive Daniel Scally slipping the ball to Scott Fenwick to net.

East Fife brushed themselves down before racing up the park and levelling matters.

The equaliser arrived in some style and was a goal fit to grace any game.

With the ball breaking loose outside the area it sat up invitingly for Ross Davidson and he smashed an unstoppable shot beyond Marc McCallum.

It was a like a basketball match at times and play raged from end to end.

The two sides were clearly enjoying themselves and further chances fell for Grant Anderson and Greig Spence.

The second half started in the exact same manner as the first, Forfar scoring and East Fife pegging them back straight away.

Scally was again involved for the Loons, providing neat finish to an Anderson delivery.

East Fife came back off the ropes and an excellent pass from Craig Watson found Stewart Murdoch who provided the finish.

Both sides had chances to grab the crucial fifth goal but, with time ticking on, it appeared as if a draw would settle matters.

That was until the final seconds when there was to be a late twist.

East Fife again managed to get forward and scrambled the ball to Sean Brown.

The on-loan East Stirlingshire forward couldn't miss as he picked his spot from close range.