Match report: East Fife 5-1 Tranent Juniors

Hat-trick hero Scott Agnew takes the plaudits. Pic by Kenny Mackay.Hat-trick hero Scott Agnew takes the plaudits. Pic by Kenny Mackay.
Hat-trick hero Scott Agnew takes the plaudits. Pic by Kenny Mackay.
East Fife fans could be forgiven for fearing the worst when Steven Thomson's free-kick handed Tranent a third minute lead.

After departing the Scottish Cup in recent seasons to BSC Glasgow and Brora Rangers, those watching at home may have had a sense of déjà vu.

But Darren Young's East Fife side refused to panic and showed a professional attitude to ensure there would be no slip up to another side from a lower division.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The visitors have yet to taste defeat in their league campaign this season and turfed East Stirlingshire out of the cup 4-1 in the previous round.

They are clearly no mugs, and demonstrated their quality in the early stages.

The Fifers conceded a free-kick inside their own half which Thomson prepared to take.

With the Fife defence shaping up to defend a delivery, Thomson took everyone by surprise and instead chose to shoot, beating Brett Long from 35 yards.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

It was a goal which stunned the home side and Thomson was unlucky not to double his side's lead with another free-kick which came back off the post.

East Fife, though, stayed composed and continued to play their game.

It paid off five minutes before the interval when they pulled level.

Ryan Wallace was sent clear on goal and, just as he was about the pull the trigger, was hauled down by Alasdair Adams in the Tranent goal.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Ref Barry Cook pointed to the spot and Scott Agnew made no mistake.

Things got even better for the home side on the stroke of half time when Agnew turned provider.

His corner was met by Craig Watson who powered a header beyond Adams.

The goals had come at perfect times for the Fifers, as did their third.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Ten minutes after the re-start Agnew made it 3-1 and took the wind out of Tranent's sails when his free-kick squirmed in past the Tranent 'keeper.

The visitors had looked a threat in the first half but fell out of the game in the second.

Agnew's deflected shot increased the advantage before Kevin Smith finished the scoring.

Home boss Young said: "We’ve scored five goals but could maybe have had another three or four.

“Fair play to Tranent, they also hit the post while we’ve had two or three one-on-ones and hit the bar as well."