Joy of six as Glens win third game in a row

John Martin puts away a penalty for his second of the game
John Martin puts away a penalty for his second of the game

The Glens welcomed Pumpherston Juniors to Warout looking to make it three league wins in a row against a team who were trying to gain ground on their rivals at the bottom of the table.

Glens kicked off, and straight from the start, they were the stronger team.

Darren Thomson scrambles the ball in for the first goal

Darren Thomson scrambles the ball in for the first goal

In the first 20 minutes, every time Glens attacked they looked like scoring, with the best chance falling to John Martin.

A free kick was delivered from the right and was only cleared to the edge of the box where the increasingly agile-looking Martin pulled of a spectacular scissor kick with the Pumphy ‘keeper just getting a hand to it at his left hand post.

As the game progressed, Glens continued to pressure the Pumpherston goal, but it wasn’t until the 36th minute that they took the lead.

A Johnny MacRae free kick was crossed into the box to Martin at the far side, who passed along the face of goal for Darren Thomson to scramble into the back of the net for his first goal since his return from Oz.

It did not take long for the Glens to get another, as minutes later they doubled their lead.

A well-won ball by Craig Paterson opened up the Pumpherston defence which allowed Martin to break free, round the ‘keeper and calmly place the ball into the open net.

As the second half started, Glenrothes survived an early fright as keeper Kevin Smith lost the ball in the box, but the resulting shot was cleared off the line by Gavin Moffatt.

Normal service was resumed a few minutes later when the Glens got their third in the 48th minute after Callum Wylie spun the defender to make space for himself and let go with a right footer, which soared past the Pumpherston defenders, leaving the goalkeeper with no chance.

Glens continued to dominate and if they had taken their chances by this stage could have been in double figures, but they had to wait until the 70th minute for their fourth.

Martin received the ball at the edge of the box who then proceeded to drift past several Pumphy defenders and the laid it off for Steven Leslie, whose shot went in off the post.

Within minutes, it was five nil as Johnny MacRae crossed for Ian Griffin to slot the ball into the back of the net.

Glens were still not finished and when Martin was upended in the box, the striker stood up to take the penalty kick himself, and calmly sent the keeper the wrong way for his second of the game.

Credit to Pumpherston – despite being 6-0 down they still tried to get into attacking positions, but the Glens defenders never looked like conceding.

Glens look to win their fourth game in a row this Saturday at Perth side Kinnoull, 2.15 p.m kick off.

Glenrothes: Smith, Grierson, Macrae, Moffatt, Pearson, Wylie, Thomson, Paterson, Martin, Griffin, Celentano. Subs: Kinnes (on 78), Leslie (on 62), Anderson (on 62), Leighton, Redpath.