Kennoway 4-1 Vale of Leven

Gavin Gray -  Kennoway Star Hearts.
Gavin Gray - Kennoway Star Hearts.

A healthy attendance hoped to see the home side progress into the second round of the Scottish Cup.

A few changes to the starting line up from the previous week with saw Lornie, Boylan, Lee and G.Gray coming in to the starting line up.

Inside ten minute’s the game sparked to life when G Gray had burst into the penalty area.

Vale’s defender McKenzie lunged in to try and toe poke the ball away but only succeeded in fouling the KSH striker.

The referee pointed to the penalty spot and decided the foul merited a red card.

Band stepped up to take the penalty and his effort was saved by Smith low to his right.

Fortunately for Band his striking partner G Gray was quickest to react as he swept the ball home with his left foot from five yards.

Gray grabbed his second goal of the game when he raced on to a Byers pass that split the Vale defence wide open, the striker showed his composure lifting the ball over Smith from 16 yards for a two goal lead inside the opening 20 minutes.

The game had another twist inside 35 minutes when Doig tugged the shirt of the Vale striker.

The referee again pointed the spot and he decided the foul prevented a goal scoring opportunity as he showed Doig the second red card of the game.

Stewart blasted the ball past Sutherland to give Vale a lifeline.

The second half started with both teams hopeful of progressing into the next round.

KSH were looking to try and gain control of the possession they had early on in the match while Vale were hoping to continue where they left off. On the hour G Gray was to turn provider as he headed Boylan’s cross back across goal for Lee to place his header beyond Smith and help restore the two goal lead.

With six minutes remaining substitute Shaw was on hand as G Gray again provided the assist allowing the young striker to slam the ball home from eight yards.

The final drama of the day came on the 90 minute when Smith came rushing from his penalty area to crudely foul Gray to receive his second yellow then red card in what was an incident packed match.

Next up for Kennowat is a trip to Stoneyburn on October 10 in the Fife and Lothians Cup.