Kennoway’s cup hopes live on after draw

Chris Lornie goes close for Kennoway.
Chris Lornie goes close for Kennoway.

The relatively short trip to Glasgow after the previous round in the Scottish Cup involved a four hour journey to Elgin, proved to be a welcome change for Kennoway Star Hearts as they played St.Roch’s.

Gay went close when he picked up a loose ball on the edge of the penalty area and took aim only to see the ball charged down and to safety.

A big talking point of the half came with Gay again thick in the action this time seeing his effort palmed away by the grounded defender.

KSH players, management and support claimed for a penalty but the referee waved play on.

Lee was next to try his luck as his header sailed over the crossbar.

As the half wore on, St.Roch’s started to have more of the ball and on the stroke of half time missed a glaring chance to take the lead.

A free kick was launched into the penalty area where somehow the striker missed the target.

The second started much the way the majority of the first half went with KSH testing the home ‘keeper within minutes of the restart with Lornie almost squeezing the ball home from an acute angle.

Slowly the balance of power shifted and the home support urged on their favourites as Sutherland was called into action with an instinctive double save to keep the scoreline blank.

KSH were struggling to clear their defensive lines as wave after wave of attack so Sutherland again deny St.Roch’s with another save from close in.

The park was cutting up badly and it was turning into a real battle in midfield with players from both sides finding the surface treacherous with mistakes happening more frequently as the game entered the latter stages.

The introduction of Wilson added fresh legs and extra pace to KSH and the forward was straight in the thick of the action with a darting run and cross from the right wing gave his team mates a welcome break from their defensive duties.

Wilson was the man to grab the opening goal after Boylan’s tireless efforts saw the midfielder win the ball and play a ball over the St. Roch’s defence, Wilson opened his stride up and left his marker in his wake as he collected the ball and finished with a crisp left foot shot from 12 yards.

St.Roch’s were not to be denied and with two minutes left on the clock a hopeful ball into the penalty area saw Sutherland try and punch the ball to safety, a double ricochet saw the ball land three yards from goal for the St.Roch`s striker to smash home.

KSH: Sutherland, Doig, Bremner, Lee, Craig, Gay, Byers, Band, B.Gray, Lornie, Shaw.

Subs: Boylan Wilson Young A.Gray Paterson.

The two meet again this weekend.