Kennoway Star Hearts 4-2 Sauchie

Kyle Wilson struck four first half goals as Kennoway Star Hearts claimed a huge victory over promotion rivals Sauchie in the penultimate home game of the season.

Monday, 27th March 2017, 10:29 am
Updated Tuesday, 9th May 2017, 7:06 pm
Kyle Wilson celebrates after netting another for Kennoway.
Kyle Wilson celebrates after netting another for Kennoway.

Fresh from their Scottish Cup exploits the Clackmannanshire outfit are strongly tipped to win the East Premier this season.

A minute into the game they took the lead. A speculative effort from the edge of the box by Cummings seemed to catch out Paterson in goal.

The ball crept into the ‘keeper’s bottom left corner as the visitors celebrated in some style.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The goal rocked KSH and they were finding it hard to impose their usual style of play into the game as a well drilled Sauchie team were winning all the battles in the opening stages of the match.

Slowly but surely KSH started to edge back into the game with Wilson drawing a foul on the edge of the penalty area. Gay stepped up and his low shot was tipped around the post by Maitland.

The game started to even out in terms of possession and on the 20 minute mark Wilson was the man to get his team back in the game.

A succession of passes cut open the Sauchie back line allowing the striker to bravely throw himself at the ball, as he nudged it past Maitland he took a heavy knock in the process.

Game on and it was roles reversed as KSH started to dominate proceedings, taking the lead when Binnington played a pass in between the two centre backs and Wilson finished with a deft touch over Maitland for a goal of quality.

The pressure was mounting on the away side and remarkably Wilson grabbed a hat trick with a trademark left foot finish that hit the side rigging of the net leaving Maitland stranded.

The drama of the first half was over when Wilson again showed the power and finesse when he let the ball run across his body before smashing a shot high into the corner of the net.

A first half striking display of the highest quality had the crowd mesmerised as the half time whistle went.

Due to previous games this season everyone attending the match knew the result was far from a certainty. One thing you get at a KSH match is drama and the second half was to have plenty.

Paterson was fortunate to see the ball bounce back off the crossbar when a mix up between himself and Doig allowed the Sauchie striker an opening.

The game was end to end and Sauchie again hit the woodwork passing up a great chance to claw a goal back. Band then stung the fingers of Maitland with a crisp drive as the game took on a cup tie feel.

With 20 minutes remaining KSH were reduced to ten men when Partridge received a second yellow card. The player disadvantage saw a backs to the wall defensive show as Sauchie threw all they had at a now weary Kennoway team.

With ten minutes remaining a goal was pulled back when Millar shot home through a crowd of bodies to set up a grandstand finish.

Thankfully for the nervy home support the players on the field carried out their duties and saw the game out to win the three points in another remarkable match at Treaton Park.