Late goal wins Fife derby for Raith Rovers.

A Manny Duku header three minutes from time saw Raith Rovers win the spoils in the Betfred Cup match against East Fife.
Regan Hendry scores a penalty to draw Rovers level.Regan Hendry scores a penalty to draw Rovers level.
Regan Hendry scores a penalty to draw Rovers level.

The home side had to come from behind after the Fifers took the lead through Liam Newton.

But a penalty right on half time from Regan Hendry drew Rovers level, before Duku’s late goal sealed the 2-1 win.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Unusually both clubs had their respective assistant managers in charge. Raith boss John McGlynn is still waiting to undergo a minor operation so Paul Smith deputised, with Tony McMinn doing the same for the visitors’ absent boss, Darren Young.

The game kicked off and Raith fashioned a good opportunity in the very first minute.

An East Fife corner was cleared to the feet of Duku who made an incredible, lung-bursting run to the edge of the visitors’ box where he passed to Dan Armstrong but his shot went high over Jordan Hart’s goal.

That was one of the few efforts on goal in a game that was high in endeavour from both sides but low in quality overall.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The match settled down to a fairly even contest but it was the visitors who took the lead on 14 minutes.

A cross from Liam Watt was headed back across goal by Ryan Wallace and with the Rovers’ defence posted missing, Newton had time to turn on the ball and hit it past Jamie McDonald in the home goal to open the scoring.

Nine minutes later and Rovers fashioned a decent chance. Ewan Ross made a great run down the left wing and squared it to Armstrong in virtually the same spot he had fund himself in on 60 seconds.

Unfortunately his attempt on goal was also a carbon copy.

Rovers picked up the pace as the game headed towards half time and on 43 minutes got their just rewards.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Duku attempted to turn on the ball in the East Fife box but was hauled to the ground.

Hendry made no mistake from the spot to send the sides into the break on level pegging.

The teams kicked off the seond half and it was 15 minutes before either side created a chance of note – a Rovers free kick fell to Dylan Tait at the edge of the box but he blasted it over.

Two minutes later right back Regan Tumilty lofted the ball to the far post where Duku headed into the side net from a difficult angle.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

On 76 minutes the impressive Ross almost gave Raith the lead with a low shot from the edge of the box which shaved the outside of the Methil side’s post.

With five minutes to go Raith went all out for a winner and it came on 87 minutes.

Tait swung in a corner from the Rovers left. It was partially cleared to Tumilty who lofted it back in, Kieran McDonald crossed and Duku headed in from close range to give Raith the three points.

Speaking after the match, Paul Smith said he was delighted with the win but felt Rovers hadn’t been at their best.

"We showed great character after losing a goal and going on to win the game,” he said.

"It was very open in the second half and I’m delighted we nicked the goal in the last couple of minutes.”