Leven United’s road to Hampden

Leven United before the cup semi final against Oban Saints
Leven United before the cup semi final against Oban Saints

Hamilton’s New Douglas Park has barely seen celebrations like it.

On Thursday night Leven United made history and reached the Scottish Amateur Cup final for the first time.

It was a nervy 90 minites for the side and the masses of fans who travelled through from Levenmouth to support the club against Oban Saints.

The game was tied at 1-1 after 90 minutes before the local club snatched a winner to secure their place at the Hampden Park showpiece on Sunday, May 22.

Manager Dougie Herd said: “The support we had was remarkable and this helped the boys get over the line against a good Oban side .

“The effort by all to get us to Hampden was brilliant and we all hope Leven can have a great day out on the 22nd and we will give our all to bring the cup back to Fife.”

It’s been a long road to the final for United.

Leven’s route to the semi finals has been a tough one, the side coming through three replays and two penalty shoot outs.

They started their amateur cup campaign against Newcraighall Leith Victoria, overcoming them with minimal fuss in a 7 - 0 away victory.

They were then paired with Victoria Locos who took the side to a replay at King George V Park.

But Leven made home advantage count, coming out on top 7-3.

This game signalled an end to the regional stages, with Leven joining others from across the domestic game in Scotland.

But the side was on a roll and clearly growing into the competition the longer it went on, putting seven past Carluke in the next round.

Round four saw another win win over Scottish Amateur Football League Premier Division One Dunoon Amateurs.

By now it was getting down to the nitty gritty, as only the best sides in the country remained in the competition.

Caledonian League Premier Division side Giffnock North were well fancied for their meeting between the two.

It was a game which went all the way, with Leven keeping their cool in a penalty shoot-out after home and away 2 - 2 draws.

Round six a paired Leven with East Kilbride YM.

But when they failed to see their opponents off at King George, their road to Hampden dream appeared to be over.

However, they stemmed their hosts and again advanced after a penalty shoot out.

The win saw them book their place in their first ever Scottish Amateur Cup quarter final against Linlithgow Thistle, advancing with a 3-0 win.

And then it was on to New Douglas Park where the side stood on the brink of its finest achievement where Scott Methven and Mark Wilkie were on target.