Maximum points may not save Saints

St Andrews v Linlithgow
St Andrews v Linlithgow

Even if St Andrews win their remaining Super League games it still may not be enough to keep them in the division after this 3-1 home loss to Linlithgow.

Saturday’s defeat was followed up with a 4-2 loss at Carnoustie on Wednesday night.

On Saturday Tyrrell did well before he fired just over the bar.

Saints were awarded a free kick on 12 minutes and as the ball was worked wide to Mackie, his cross was turned wide by Buchan.

They had a second chance on 13 minutes when a Sutherland cross was met by Barry Sibanda but his shot was well saved by Christie.

Tyrrell saw a free kick thump the bar on 24 minutes before McLennan could only shoot straight at Stevie McEwan after creating space on the right. The nippy winger got his reward, though, on 32 minutes as he once again created havoc before slotting the ball home.

Saints started a little better in the second half but once again it was the visitors who had the first chance with a Coyne header being cleared off the line.

A minute later, as the ball was partially cleared by the home defence, Ritchie McKillen let fly from all of 30 yards, the ball had hit the back of the net.

Saints pulled a goal back on 67 minutes when Drummond headed home a Mackie corner.

United then pressed for an equaliser and on 81 minutes were awarded a free kick on the edge of the box.

Unfortunately Lee Sibanda, on for brother Barry, saw his free kick go high and wide.

From the goal kick Rose broke quickly and found McLennan and despite the scorer of the first being two yards offside he was allowed to continue and slide the ball past McEwan.

United got pretty much what they deserved, however, this season was never going to be decided by results against Linlithgow and the like so they move on to Saturday at Ballingry.

Saints - McEwan, McMullan, Seeley, Drummond, Buchan, Sutherland, Sibanda B (Sibanda L), Whyte G, Mackie, McInnes, Kadela

Subs - Cargill, Whyte T, McGuire, Port.