Methilhill Strollers 2-1 Pittenweem Rovers

James Ketchen (left) hit the bar late on for Pittenweem.
James Ketchen (left) hit the bar late on for Pittenweem.

Rovers travelled to Methilhill to face Strollers in the second league encounter between the two sides this season, with Rovers edging the first match.

There was little of note in the first half hour except a collection of yellow cards before Methilhill had the first real opportunity when they were quick on the counter attack but wide of the target with the final attempt.

Methilhill took the lead in the 36th minute when a good cross was swung in from the right and Rovers keeper, Barclay, saved well at the back post but could do nothing to prevent the home striker scoring at the second time of asking.

It was a catalogue of errors in the Rovers defence that saw the visitors go two down before the break as Strollers capitalised by gathering a ball that Rovers failed to deal with, squaring from the right, across goal, where their forward made no mistake from close range to put them 2-0 up.

Rovers showed more intent in the second half and had a chance after a minute when Lee Allan headed wide.

Barclay was, again, called into action a minute later when he saved bravely at the Strollers’ strikers feet.

Rovers gave themselves a chance in the 52nd minute when Allan outpaced the Strollers rearguard as he was first to Barclay’s long clearance, to poke the ball past the advancing keeper to make the score 2-1.

Rovers laid siege to the Methilhill goal in the last 20 minutes in an attempt to get back on terms.

Ketchen was first to try with a good effort on 77 minutes when he shielded the ball well, turned and shot from 20 yards only to see his shot strike the upright.

Ketchen tried again three minutes later, and summed up Rovers day, when his shot crashed off the bar and bounced to safety.

In 85 minutes, Rovers looked like they would have a chance to equalise from the penalty spot when Allan appeared to have been upended but the referee waved the appeals aside.

Rovers continued to battle for the equaliser, hitting the woodwork twice in the final minutes.

On Saturday Rovers face Denbeath.