Missed chances cost Glens again in relegation fight

Bissett comes close with his header. Pic: Jim Foy
Bissett comes close with his header. Pic: Jim Foy

Glenrothes Juniors 0, Dundee Violet 4

For this relegation battle, Glens made two changes from last week’s game at Dundonald, with Meikle in for Napier and Moffat for Sawer.

In the first minute, a mistake in the Glens defence allowed McConniechie in on goal but C. Gay saved his effort.

A long-range shot from Bissett sailed over the top of the crossbar, then an excellent run and cross from Griffin was just missed by Martin.

Another defensive error again allowed McConniechie in on goal but a last-ditch tackle from Wallace saved the day. Glens’ defence were looking very nervous and, on 15 minutes, the away side took the lead when a long ball found Mair, who showed a fair bit of pace and ran on to shoot past C. Gay.

The away side were using the very strong wind to their advantage and, on 21 minutes, increased their lead when, following a free kick, which the Glens’ defence failed to clear, the ball landed at the feet of Mair, who shot home.

The game was now in a lull with too many free kicks being conceded by both teams. From one kick, C. Gay had to punch the ball clear of danger before a fine run from Kinnes was halted by an excellent tackle from Henderson.

On 40 minutes, the away side scored their third goal when a long-range free kick, aided by the wind, unfortunately hit a head and flew over the top of C. Gay and into the net. At the other end. from a corner. Bissett headed wide.

An effort from Griffin was easily saved by Thain. Right on half time. Glens were reduced to 10 men when Macbride was shown a red card for stopping a goal scoring opportunity with his hand. This was not the performance they were looking for.

Glens made a change at the start of the second half, with Napier replacing Forbes, and created the first chance of the second half when a cross from the right found Griffin, only for his effort to slip past the post.

The away side had a chance to increase their lead when Payne found himself in a great position, only to shoot wide.

On 65 minutes, Meikle had an effort saved by Thain with his legs, then 10 minutes later Glens were awarded a penalty, which Thain saved from Martin.

A minute later, the keeper again came to the rescue when he punched an effort from Griffin over the bar.

On 80 minutes, the away side scored their fourth goal when McConniechie broke clear and shot past C. Gay.

An effort from Griffin missed the target, then Martin was the next to try his luck but his effort was blocked by Moodie. The last chance of the game fell to substitute J. Gay but, again,Thain came to the rescue.

Following a very poor first half, Glens showed some improvement in the second but, not for the first time this season, they failed to finish off their chances.

Manager Andrew will have to try and lift his team for another relegation battle on Saturday when they travel to Bathgate; kick-off 2.30 pm.

Glenrothes: C. Gay, Bissett, Wallace, Moffat, Macbride, Anderson, Kinnes, Griffin, Martin, Meikle, Forbes.

Subs: Napier, J. Gay, Steele, Sawer, Guppy.

Dundee Violet: Thain, Milton, Henderson, O’Conner, Syme, Moodie, McIver, Payne, McConniechie, Urquhart, Mair.

Sub: Wilson