Never say die Saints make their point with late goal

Action from the St Andrews and Musselburgh match.
Action from the St Andrews and Musselburgh match.

With 15 minutes to go at Recreation Park it looked like another valiant but pointless Super League encounter for St Andrews United as they battled but created little.

However, by full time that had changed as Saints claimed a deserved point in a 3-3 draw against Musselburgh.

Musselburgh raced out of the blocks and went in to a two goal lead inside the first 15 minutes.

The first came from Matti King when he scored his 100th goal for the visitors.

Jackie Myles doubled the advantage on 16 minutes.

Saints were back in it when Ricky Patrick pulled a goal back immediately.

A long ball from Wedderburn landed at Sutherland’s feet, he beat the full back before pulling the ball back to Patrick and his shot nestled in the bottom corner.

Musselburgh restored their two goal cushion right on half time when a lob over the United defence saw Michael Hunter beat the static back line to slot the ball beyond Cargill.

It could have been worse in first half added time as a slip by McGuire let in Connor Thomson for Musselburgh but he screwed his shot wide.

Saints battled to restore some pride but without causing the visitors keeper too much trouble.

United were denied what looked like a stonewall penalty on 64 minutes when Miller appeared to handle the ball inside the box but referee Lambie waved away Saints appeals.

St Andrews made changes on 66 and 72 minutes bringing on Kadela and Port for Ramsey and McGuire and the fresh legs injected a bit of urgency in to United attacks.

Wedderburn pulled a goal back on 76 minutes when he got the faintest of flicks to a Mackie free kick, directing the ball in to the far corner of the net.

It looked like Saints would just come up short until the fourth of six added minutes.

A Sibanda header came back off the keeper and Gary Sutherland rammed the ball over the line to earn Gus Malone’s men a well deserved point.