Ninth straight win seals Hibs promotion

Thornton Hibs players celebrate a goal against Lochee on Saturday  - FPA -
Thornton Hibs players celebrate a goal against Lochee on Saturday - FPA -


Although the fierce wind tried its best to spoil things it couldn’t prevent Thornton Hibs from securing promotion on Saturday.

In doing so, Hibs also recorded their ninth straight win and an equally impressive fifth consecutive clean sheet.

Some Thornton supporters might’ve thought they were seeing double as the teams emerged from the pavilion, both wearing Hibs’ strips.

Harp had arrived with green kit but thankfully Thornton had their ‘away’ gear handy so the visitors wore this.

With the strong wind behind their backs the Hibs laid siege on the visitors’ goal but it wasn’t until the 41st minute that the deadlock was eventually broken.

And it was Chris Ireland who netted his 27th goal of the season from the penalty spot after Frankie Mullen was ordered off for preventing Ross Morgan’s shot from crossing the line with his hand.

In the second half, Thornton played much better into the wind and it came as no surprise when they doubled their tally in the 55th minute when great play by Ireland gave Morgan the chance to shoot home from 15 yards.

Ireland provided the assist again just three minutes later for Garry Thomson to make it three and Morgan completed the scoring after great wing play from Mathew Gay set him up.

This last day victory means that Thornton will compete in next season’s Premier League but they wont know if it’s as North Division Champions or as runners-up until Downfield’s appeal against a 15-point deduction is heard.

Window Stores Man of the Match – Everyone who’s worn a Hibs’ jersey during this memorable season.

Thornton Hibs: Rowbotham, Clark, Shields, McGowan, Shanks, Drummond, Gay, Hepburn, Ireland, Morgan, Thomson. Subs: Adam, Gordon, McNab, Wilson, Higgins.

Lochee Harp: Hutchison, Mullen, McCabe, Scrimgeour, Roddy, Hay, Petrie, McMahon, R.Norrie, Ireland, Blair. Subs: McKay, G.Norrie, Fyffe, Boyle.

Referee: K.Maskell