Pieces of eight as Glens cruise into Scottish 3rd round

Griffin heads home his second of the game.
Griffin heads home his second of the game.

Kello Rovers 1, Glenrothes Juniors 8

The Glens made the long trip to Dumfriesshire to play Kello in the second round of the Scottish Cup.

Glenrothes once again started with a much depleted squad and had new signing from Cowdenbeath Tony Steele on the bench.

Manager Grant Brough and coach Allan were also named as substitutes.

The game started at pace and on two minutes a move between Martin and Scarborough had the latter just missing the target by inches.

A minute later a 20 yard effort by Forbes found the back of the net.

Kello then equalised against the run of play when Ross’s cross somehow found the back off the net looping over Gay giving him no chance.

Glenrothes regained the lead approaching the half hour mark when a cross from the right was headed goalward by Griffin but the ‘keeper parried the ball back to his feet allowing him to slam the ball home.

Glens had a chance to further extend their lead when they were awarded a penalty when Bell handled the ball on the line and was duly red carded for the offence.

Martin stood up to take the penalty but was prevented from extending the Glens lead by an excellent save from Dunsmuir.

The second half got under way with the Glens pressing their man advantage and Martin was almost through on goal but had strayed marginally offside.

On 50 minutes Glenrothes put the game out of the reach of Kello when a corner fell at the feet of Scarborough which allowed him to tap home for his tenth goal of the season.

Just after the hour mark a cross from Forbes was well defended and cleared for a corner which when taken was headed home by Napier.

Dunsmuir made an excellent save when he tipped Anderson’s long range shot over the bar.

John Martin then made way for new signing Steele to make his debut.

On 70 minutes a cross from the left was headed home by Griffin for his second of the game.

Glenrothes were now scoring almost at will as another cross was met by Wallace who shot home.

On 80 minutes the Glens scored number seven when young Steele shot home from close range for his debut goal.

Griffin had a chance to make his hat trick but hammered the ball over the bar from close range.

Kello were reduced to nine men when Ross was shown a straight red for putting his arm across the face of Wallace.

The game finished when Greirson headed home number eight.

It’s back to league business next week when the Glens face Kinnoull at home with the game kicking off at 2.00 p.m.

Glenrothes: Gay, Jackson, Wallace, Greirson, Moffat, Anderson, Napier, Griffin, Martin, Scarborough, Forbes.

Subs - Steele, Pearson, Brough, Allan.