'port hit back for first win

Tayport ................................2

Thursday, 18th August 2016, 4:00 pm
Tayport scored a much-needed first win of the season on Wednesday (library image)

Dundee Violet .......................1

Tayport came from behind to beat Violet in Wednesday night’s Premier League enocounter – and post their first win of the season.

Dale Reid and Sergio Alvarez both went close early on at the Canniepairt, but Violet came more into the match midway through the half.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Gavin Sorley made a couple of good stops to keep them at bay, but was beaten on the half-hour, when Violet netted a scrambled opener.

Craig Sturrock almost equalised towards half time but his effort hit the bar and a follow-up shot was saved by ‘keeper Gary Thain.

After the break, Violet’s Lee Milton was presented with an opportunity but his header hit the woodwork, much to Tayport’s relief.

In desperate need of points, ‘Port stuck to their task and levelled on 61 minutes.

David Geekie made a positive move forward and threaded a lovely pass through for Dale Reid, who touched the ball around the ‘keeper and slotted home from a tight angle.

Minutes later, Tayport were handed a surprise chance to take the lead, when Violet were somewhat taken aback by a contentious penalty award against them, for handball.

Jamie Mackie took on the responsibility and he made no mistake, thumping the ball into the back of the net for what proved to be the winner.

Tayport had Gavin Sorley to thank for preserving the lead, as he made a fantastic double save in the closing stages, leaving Violet’s Kevin Scott frustrated.

Tayport – Sorley, Sanchez, Sturrock, Ovenstone, Conway, Alvarez, Mackie, Geekie, Reid, Ross(Mowatt).

The win followed a frustrating 1-1 draw for Tayport on Saturday at Armadale.

Most of the drama in the Armadale Thisltle v Tayport game occurred in the closing stages, as the East Premier League points were shared.

Substitute Dale Reid opened the scoring for ‘Port after 79 minutes, only for Thistle to find a leveller five minutes later, to leave the visitors frustrated.

After a cagey opening quarter-hour, the Canniepairt men began to dominate.

Jamie Mackie saw a curling shot fly just over the bar, while Grant Mowatt shot narrowly wide after being played in by Sergio Alvarez.

Armadale’s first attack came in the 25th minute when McKee had his shot deflected by John Ovenstone and Gavin Sorley pushed it wide for a corner.

Towards half time, ‘Port were back on the offensive. Craig Sturrock blasted over, following a corner, then Alvarez found himself clear on the right and delivered a fine cross to the back post, only for Mackie’s shot to be collected by ‘keeper Maltoni.

Tayport continued their dominance after the break. Liam Ross was harshly ruled offside early in the half, Mackie saw a 25-yarder slip just past the post and Maltoni made a good stop to deny David Geekie.

However, ‘Port would not be denied for long. With 79 minutes on the clock, the dangerous-looking Dale Reid latched on to a terrific pass and broke through the home defence to shoot clinically past the ‘keeper and put Tayport into a thoroughly deserved lead.

Reid then had an opportunity to double that advantage but could not convert and his team was caught out in the 84th minute, when Gavin Sorley came off his line and Armadale’s King lobbed the ball over him and, agonisingly, into the net, despite the efforts of Daniel Sanchez to clear the ball.

So, a disappointing end to what had been an encouraging performance but, not for the first time, Tayport paid the price for not taking their chances.

Tayport - Sorley, Sturrock, Ovenstone, Conway, Sanchez, Robertson, Mackie (Paterson), Alvarez, Geekie, Mowatt (Reid), Ross.