‘Port ready to get up for the cup

Tayport go on the attack during their draw with Dalkeith.
Tayport go on the attack during their draw with Dalkeith.

Tayport will take a break from league duty this weekend when attention turns to the East of Scotland Cup and a home tie against Harthill Royal.

Tomorrow’s opponents play in the South Division of the East Region set-up, one tier below Tayport.

The Canniepairt outfit will be hoping to return to winning ways after last Saturday’s 2-2 draw against Dalkeith.

Manager Dave Baikie was less than enamoured with the result, saying: “It turned out to be a frustrating afternoon and, in many ways, the draw felt like a defeat.

“Again, we’ve been guilty of a lack of consistency.

“In the first half, there was no real spark to our play and we didn’t create any notable chances.”

Matters did improve after the break when ’Port showed much more urgency.

“I thought we deserved to edge into the lead and we should have added a third goal but missed a few chances,” commented the boss.

Baikie will be hoping that his side is more clinical in front of goal in tomorrow’s cup tie.

Strikers Gary Sutherland and Kevin Milne were involved in the goals against Dalkeith, but ’Port do not want to become too reliant on the front two.

Goals from midfield are crucial if Tayport are to be successful during the long campaign.

The injury to wide-man Matt Adam has been a blow and he is likely to miss out again this week.

Midfielder Ryan Suttie should finally be available for selection but there are doubts about central defender Paul Thomson and Kris Rollo had to fill in as a makeshift centre-half last Saturday.

Harthill will be out to cause an upset but will be low on confidence after a 5-0 drubbing at Blackburn United.

Tayport have played Harthill before, but only Stefan Elvin remains in the squad from a Scottish Junior Cup encounter at Gibbshill Park in October, 2010.

Indeed, Elvin was one of seven scorers, in a 9-0 rout.

Such a one-sided contest is unlikely tomorrow, but Tayport will be favourites to progress to the next round of the inter-regional competition.

The match is due to kick off at 2.30pm and, if level after ninety minutes, the tie will be decided on penalties.