Contract talks on hold until we’re safe

Raith defender Dougie Hill challenges Falkirk's Craig Sibbald on Saturday. Pic: Alan Murray
Raith defender Dougie Hill challenges Falkirk's Craig Sibbald on Saturday. Pic: Alan Murray
Share this article

Grant Murray is holding back on contract talks with his Raith Rovers squad until the club is mathematically safe from relegation.

Rovers welcome Cowdenbeath to Stark’s Park knowing that a point would secure their place in the Championship next season, and condemn their derby rivals to a relegation play-off.

Rovers have a healthy six point and 13-goal advantage over Jimmy Nicholl’s side with two games left to play, but manager Murray is taking nothing for granted.

“Until I know that we’re mathematically safe it would be stupid to come out and say we’re doing this or that,” he said.

“When that happens and I sit down with the board and know exactly where we are, and what we’ve got to work with, then we can start focusing on talking to players and getting them signed up.

“Players leave clubs, and players re-sign - that’s football. At the end of day you do have to bring new players in. Once we’re mathematically sorted out, we can start to totally prepare for next season.”

Murray warned his players against showing any complacency against a Cowdenbeath side who are likely to come to Stark’s Park looking for the win, and the goals, they need to set up a nervy final week.

“The players need to have that mentality that they need to go out and win games of football,” Murray said.

“Whether they think they’re safe or not in their own heads, it’s about going out and doing their jobs.

“We’ve trained well this week, and we’re looking forward to Saturday because it’s a derby. That’s all they’re really focusing on just now.

“Our aim is to go and pick up six points between now and the end of the season and to finish as high up the table as possible.”

Rovers have injury doubts over Joe Cardle and Kevin Moon, while Dougie Hill serves the second match of his two-game ban following his red card against Dumbarton a fortnight ago.