Grant Murray
Grant Murray

RAITH Rovers manager Grant Murray felt his team was denied a crucial penalty kick in the New Year derby defeat to Dunfermline.

With the game locked at 0-0 early in the second half, Brian Graham saw a header blocked on the line by Dunfermline’s Ryan Wallace.

Raith’s claims for a penalty were waved away by referee Craig Charleston, however Murray insisted that a spot-kick should have been awarded.

“Brian Graham’s had a header stopped on the line, and we think it should have been a penalty,” he said.

“Ryan Wallace has stuck his hand up. We’ve watched it, and it looks like a penalty. It looked like a penalty at the time on the pitch.

“It’s one of these things. It’s a decision for the officials to make. We didn’t get it and we move on from it.”

Game plan

Murray set his team up to frustrate Dunfermline and hit them on the counter attack but the game-plan fell apart in the 71st minute when Andy Geggan’s header sealed a 1-0 win for the Pars.

“It was a big derby and everyone is disappointed,” Murray said.

“We felt there wasn’t a lot in the game but the first goal was vital and Dunfermline got it.

“It was a great ball in although it was a free header in the box which is disappointing.

“We had a plan that we wanted to stick to, and we defended well as a team.

“We’ve lost a lot of goals recently, but we looked a bit more solid, and won a lot more challenges.

“We did go forward as well, but we lost a goal, and lost the game.


“Those are the brutal facts and we have to pick ourselves up from that.”

Raith are now without a win in six league games – a run they will be desperate to end against an Airdrie side without a win in 10.

“We’ve now got to turn our attention to Airdrie,” Murray said.

“We beat them at home 2-0 earlier in the season, but we know how difficult it will be from our last game against them, which finished 0-0.

“The lads are all disappointed, but we’ll pick ourselves up in training and focus on winning the three points on Saturday.”

Eddie Malone came off injured against Dunfermline, and Murray added: “Eddie took a knock to his hip and felt getting worse so he wasn’t able to continue.

“The physio will assess him for Saturday.”