Raith edged out in seven-goal game

News Update
News Update
Share this article

Seven goals and a red card - Raith Rovers and Queen of The South served up a cracking match for the BBC Alba cameras on Friday night.

But it was the Fifers who emerged on the wrong side of as 4-3 scoreline which saw the Doonhammers leapfrog them in the Championship table.

Rovers made a poor start and fell behind after seven minutes as Laidlaw let a cross squirm from his grasp, and former player John Baird was on the spot to turn the ball home from close range.

Rovers were fortunate to avoid falling further behind in the 25th minute as Reilly saw his effort blocked and then his rebound go just wide, and then Laurie Ellis had to clear more danger from under the bar with the keeper beaten.

The chances continued to come for QoS and they were perhaps unlucky to go in at half time with just one goal to show for their efforts.

The torment continued for the home fans early in the second half as Carmichael saw a header hit the post before being cleared - but it merely delayed the arrival of goal number two which came when Raith lost possession and didn’t recover before Carmichael found Reilly who netted from six yards

With an hour played, the goal sparked a re-think from the Raith bench with McKay and Moon hooked and replaced with Grant Anderson and Mark Stewart who teamed up with Nade to lead the line.

The response was immediate - Carmichael’s long through sparked panic in the defence, Scott headed on, and Stewart flicked home with almost his first touch of the ball.

Raith were then level in 62 minutes as the keeper palmed a shot into the path of Nade who saw it roll back into the net.

Suddenly the momentum changed as Raith found their tempo and started to create chances.

Queens were then reduced to ten men as Kevin Holt was red carded for a challenge on Jason Thomson - but the game turned once more.

The vistors rallied and grabbed a 3-2 lead thanks to some poor defending which let sub Lyle drift between two players and beat Laidlaw with his header.

Back came Rovers for an equaliser as the fans were treated to something akin to a good old shoot out.

Anderson’s cross found Scott, and he picked out Stewart to net from close range and 3-3.

The drama continued as Nade was stretchered off and the official signalled for five minutes of extra time.

Rovers had some golden chances to win the game as the clock ticked, and, almost inevitably, they paid the price when Queens struck with virtually the final kick of the game -