Raith Rovers ’94 - Where Are They Now Part 3

Raith Rovers Hall of Fame 2014
Raith Rovers Hall of Fame 2014

The Raith Rovers Hall of Fame night on Monday, November 10, pays tribute to the Coca-Cola Cup winning side of 1994.

To mark the occasion, over a series of articles, we take an in-depth look at the players who were in the Raith squad at the time of that historic success.

All profiles written by Ally Gourlay.

JASON DAIR (pictured)

Another of the ‘new breed’, and nephew of former Raith favourite Jim Baxter, Jason was signed along with Stevie Crawford from Castlebridge in 1991. He made a few appearances toward the end of 1991/92 but really burst onto the scene in 1992/93 during the promotion winning campaign. He became an almost ever present during the Premier League season of 93/94 and won another First Division medal in 1994/95 as well as a Coca Cola Cup medal. He wrote his name into the Raith history books when he scored Raith’s first ever goal in European competition, when he opened the scoring in a 4 – 1 win over Gotu Ittroterfelag at Stark’s Park. At the end of the season he joined Jimmy Nicholl, Stevie Crawford and Davie Sinclair at Millwall, returning to Raith within eighteen months. By this time Dair had been converted to a wing back and was playing some of the best football in his career. Unfortunately Rovers were going into financial meltdown and Dair reluctantly moved to Dunfermline for only £20000. Jason spent four successful seasons with Dunfermline before moving to Motherwell and then Livingston but a series of injuries saw his career wind down to a close. He returned to Stark’s Park and played a couple of games in 2006 before joining East Fife where he took up the assistant manager’s role. He then moved into the junior game as manager of Oakley United but returned to senior football late last season when he became assistant to Colin Cameron at Berwick Rangers.


One of the most naturally gifted players to emerge in Scotland, Redford came up through the youth ranks at Dundee before joining Rangers in February 1980 for a then Scottish record fee of £210000. After six seasons with Rangers which included four domestic cup trophies, he moved to Dundee United where he collected runners-up medals in The Scottish Cup and UEFA Cup finals within days of each other in 1987. Further spells at Ipswich Town and St Johnstone followed before he took up the reins as manager at Brechin City. Following his resignation from Brechin City, Jimmy Nicholl brought him to Stark’s Park in August 1994. He played 15 matches for Raith before announcing his retirement in the summer of 1995. He moved into the leisure market, and specifically, marketing fishing holidays in Perthshire. Iain sadly and tragically passed away in January of this year.


Cardiff Born full back, and former Wales youth cap who started his career in 1987 at Plymouth Argyle. Five years at Home Park were followed by short spells at Shrewsbury and Hereford before Jimmy Nicholl brought him to Kirkcaldy in the summer of 1993. He made 72 appearances, scoring two goals during his time at Raith Rovers, yet it was his penalty kick in the Coca Cola Cup Final which would be the one that won the Cup for Rovers. He moved back south to Wycombe Wanderers in September 1995 and spent two years at Adams Park before returning to Plymouth Argyle. Upon being released in 2000 he had short spells at Torquay United, Weymouth and Merthyr Tydfil. Jason now works in the Fire Service in Plymouth.


Only one word can describe Brian Potter. LEGEND. He only made four appearances in a Raith jersey, but what an impact he made in one of them. Coming on as a 17 year old substitute, after Scott Thomson had been sent off in the Coca Cola Cup Semi-Final, it was Potter’s save from Alan Lawrence in a penalty shoot out which put Raith into their first Cup Final since 1949. He predominantly spent most of his career in the juniors, but re-emerged as a goalkeeping coach with Hamilton Academical, and even had to make an appearance in a vital promotion game against Dundee a few years ago. Nowadays Potter is goalkeeping coach at Dunfermline Athletic.

DANNY LENNON (pictured)

Signed from Hibernian in March 1994, in the closing stages of the first Premier League campaign, Danny Lennon was an industrious and creative midfielder. His goal, and Rovers third at St Johnstone, sealed Rovers’ place in their first national Cup Semi-Final since 1963. Unfortunately he missed the Coca-Cola Cup Final due to injury. He wrote himself into the history books by scoring Raith’s goal to put them 1 – 0 up against Bayern Munich in the Olympiastadion in the UEFA Cup Second Round 2nd Leg, and in doing so was responsible for all the photographs of the ‘scoreboard’ which adorn many Kirkcaldy households to this day. While at Rovers he also gained three ‘B’ caps for Northern Ireland. He served Raith Rovers for five and a half seasons, scoring 23 goals in 200 games before moving to Ayr United in the summer of 1999. He also played for Ross County before moving to Partick Thistle where he stayed for another four years before moving into a player / coach role with Gretna. Latterly Danny held the manager’s job at Cowdenbeath, leading them to two successive promotions before being appointed manager at SPL side St Mirren where he went on to lift the League Cup and deliver the Buddies first trophy since 1987. He left St Mirren in the summer of this year.