Rovers forget cup glory in pursuit of three points

Goalscorer Callum Booth is halted by Alloa's. Kevin Cawley. Picture by Neil Doig.
Goalscorer Callum Booth is halted by Alloa's. Kevin Cawley. Picture by Neil Doig.
Share this article

Raith’s players managed to put their Ramsdens Cup final appearance to the back of their minds as they ground out a crucial 1-0 win at Recreation Park.

Manager Grant Murray would no doubt have been wary that his side could have had their minds elsewhere but will have been delighted with the way they stuck to the task of securing three Championship points.

On the back of having the stuffing knocked out of them by a last minute Hamilton winner just a few days previous to the game Murray would also have been pleased with the manner in which his side responded.

The game was far from a great spectacle but, ultimately, all the record books will show is that Rovers kept a clean sheet and won the three points which saw them edge six clear of second bottom Cowdenbeath with a much healthier goal difference.

Raith had shipped seven goals in their previous two games but the Wasps failed to really test Lee Robinson in the visiting goal.

However, it could have turned out so differently if referee Kevin Graham had given a penalty for the home side after Andy Kirk seemed to have been tripped inside the box.

Darren Young wasted the best chance the hosts created when he somehow smashed his header from six yards off the Rovers crossbar.

But it was Raith who created the most chance with Joe Cardle posing a constant threat on the wing.

First of all he fired his own effort into the side netting before squaring for Callum Elliot who put the ball in the back of the net from six yards.

The ball, though, was judged to have gone out of play before Cardle picked out his man.

Former Dunfermline man Cardle was at the centre of everything Raith created and again he found a man in the box when he squared for John Baird.

From close range, though, Baird fired straight at Scott Bain.

With chances drying up as the second half went on, it looked as if it would take something special to win the game.

And that’s exactly what it took when Callum Booth rifled home a direct free-kick which gave Bain no chance.

The defender was impressive and looked to bomb forward when the chance presented itself.

He went close to making it 2-0 shortly afterwards with another drive from distance.

Alloa pressed forward but the Rovers defence, marshalled well by Dougie Hill, stood strong to everything they threw at them.