Raith's unbeaten run comes to an end in Inverness

Inverness' Shane Sutherland holds off Raith captain Kyle Benedictus i(SNS Group - Bruce White)Inverness' Shane Sutherland holds off Raith captain Kyle Benedictus i(SNS Group - Bruce White)
Inverness' Shane Sutherland holds off Raith captain Kyle Benedictus i(SNS Group - Bruce White)
Raith Rovers lost for the first time in the Championship this season with a 2-0 defeat away to Inverness.

A goal in each half courtesy of Keatings and Allardice gave the hosts a deserved three points.

Raith made three changes to the side who won last week’s Fife derby at Cowdenbeath, with MacDonalds Jamie and Kieran returning to the starting line up, joined by captain Kyle Benedictus who was back after a one-match suspension.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

300 Inverness season ticket holders were allowed in the ground to watch a match for the first time this season and they saw their favourites give Rovers were given a warning on seven minutes when Miles Storey crashed a great shot off Jamie MacDonald’s bar.

It was a busy half for Englishman and he was involved when the hosts took the lead 11 minutes later.

Regan Hendry was caught on the ball in midfiled allowing Caley to break. Storey played the ball to James Keatings who hit a low shot past MacDonald to open the scoring in front of the home fans.

A Dylan Tait shot on 25 minutes was sliced wide of Mark Ridgers’ goal before Storey hit the woodwork for Caley yet again.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

With Musonda on his back the number 17 turned on the ball in the six yard box and hit the Rovers bar with MacDonald well beaten.

On 39 minutes Caley – and Storey – came close again. A shot from an angle lacked any power but it trickled across the face of the Rovers goal and went just wide with MacDonald scrambling.

With half time looming Rovers had their best attempt on goal through Duku but his shot was deflected wide for a corner.

Just seconds after the restart and with heavy rain now falling, Caley hit the Rovers woodwork for a third time. A piledriver from Roddy McGregor crashing off MacDonald’s post.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Just three minutes later and Inverness came close again. A Keatings corner was curled in to the near post. It was scrambled clear but in truth looked like it coulld have crossed the line, but the officials waved play on.

Shortly after a Ross free kick almost sneaked in after the bounce was misjudged by Ridgers, but unfortunately for the visitors it went wide.

But any chance of Rovers taking something from the game evaporated with the second Caley goal on 67 minutes.

A cross from Kai Kennedy was partially cleared and Scott Allardice followed up to hit it low past MacDonald to double the Caley lead and put them in a commanding position.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

After that, it was only Caley that came close to adding to the scoreline with Rovers offering little in repsonse. A Robbie Deas header was cleared off the line and sub Dan Mackay should have scored when put through one on one versus MacDonald, but the keeper managed to save.

A deserved win for the hosts on an afternoon when Rovers failed to get their usually impressive passing game going. Not a bad performance, just a bit flat, and Caley took advantage.