Relegation confirmed as Tayport slip up at Camelon


Tuesday, 31st May 2016, 1:41 pm
Updated Tuesday, 31st May 2016, 2:42 pm
The Tayport defence scrambles back. Picture Roberto Cavieres.


Tayport’s relegation from the Super League was confirmed last Saturday.

The visitors looked dead and buried at half-time but rallied to score two goals before the Mariners re-asserted themselves later in the contest.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Forward David Grant proved to be Tayport’s nemesis with his ability on the ball causing all sorts of problems.

Indeed Grant netted his side’s first two goals, with both counters coming in the opening quarter of an hour.

Then, by the 79th mark, ‘Port found themselves three down when the Camelon right-back smashed home a far post volley.

Tayport managed to stem the flow until the interval and the Canniepairt men came out fighting after the break, quickly pulling two goals back.

A hanging cross to be far post was knocked down by substitute Gary Sutherland and Dale Reid applied the finishing touch.

A few minutes later, Dale Robertson threaded a pass through to striker Matt Adam who held off a defender and netted a low finish to make it 3-2 and give the travelling support some hope.

The next goal would be crucial but it fell to Camelon, with Davie Grant netting from a tight angle to complete his hat-trick.

In the closing stages the Mariners went nap, extending their lead to 5-2.

‘Port scored a last minute consolation goal, courtesy of Stefan Elvin’s determination, with the skipper lashing the ball into the roof of the net after his first strike had been blocked.

It had been an entertaining second half, but, from Tayport’s point of view, all the damage had been done in the first and another three points, as well as the club’s top flight status, slipped away.

They may yet be joined by St Andrews United.

Tayport - Sorley, Ogg(Christie), Robertson(Paterson), Ovenstone, Fleming, Kay, Rollo(Sutherland), Elvin, Adam, Reid, Cavanagh.