REPORT: Extra-time win for East Fife against Arbroath

East Fife knocked Arbroath out of the Irn-Bru Cup with a 3-2 win after extra-time on Wednesday.

Saturday, 20th August 2016, 1:02 pm
Updated Thursday, 25th August 2016, 6:47 pm
Managers Dick Campbell and Gary Naysmith.

Sub Paul McManus got the decisive goal in the second period of added time from the penalty spot to send his former club hurtling out of the tournament.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Mark Lamont's seventh minute shot had the visitors screaming for a penalty but his 20 yard effort looked to have blasted Ricky Little in the face, with the defender noticeably in discomfort for a few minutes after. Fifers skipper Kevin Smith had the first real chance on 21 minutes when the ball fell to him on the edge of the box, he turned and hit a fierce shot but it was right at goalie Robbie Mutch, who saved comfortably. Gary Phillips was denied a Goal of the Season contender by a stunning Ryan Goodfellow stop - the East Fife keeper pulling off a full stretch save after the Lichties left back carved through the Fifers' midfield and curled a glorious strike to the far post. And Little got the opener from the following corner, rattling a bullet header into the back of the net. Kevin O'Hara almost equalised just before the hour mark but he turned Lamont's right wing cross past the post. The game was all square on 63 minutes though as a crazy stramash in the Arbroath box saw a near-own goal and two blocked shots before Jonathan Page put the ball over the line, with Mutch getting a hand to it but unable to stop the equaliser. Hester should have given Arbroath the lead 11 minutes from time but he couldn't get open to shoot inside the box, and Page was able to get the ball clear. But he did just that on 84 minutes with a low finish from Doris' lovely through ball; Goodfellow got a hand to it but the ball rolled beyond him and into the net.

Dick Campbell sent on another defender to try and see the game out but the addition of Mikey Dunlop - in place of Hester - couldn't stop Smith cutting inside from the left and curling a lovely effort into the back post. The full-time blew whistle shortly after and the sides went to extra-time. Arbroath skipper Mark Whatley sent in a scorching half volley on 101 minutes but Goodfellow made a terrific stop to tip the ball onto the crossbar. Mutch made a point black save with 10 minutes to go after Smith met Lamont's cross with the Fifers ramping up the pressure. That pressure told a minute later when Jassem Sukar pulled Paul McManus down for a penalty kick, the sub striker more than happy to step up and smash it past the keeper for 3-2. Linn then slipped a delicious ball through to Doris but he somehow spooned his effort wide when the equaliser looked to be a certainty.