Saints get spooked and crash out of cup

the action is competitive as Saints and Oakley meet.
the action is competitive as Saints and Oakley meet.

Oakley United....................1

St Andrews United.............0

St Andrews United suffered a Halloween horror at Blairwood Park as their patched up side crashed out of the Scottish Junior Cup to Premier League, Oakley United.

United’s squad had been hit by a virus during the week and several players had been struggling to be fit.

Stevie McManus was ruled out following a head injury in the first game and Stan Chitemere had been recalled by Stenhousemuir for a development squad game.

Kevin McMullan was unlucky with a free kick a minute later with Manderson forced to punch the ball clear.

A good run and cross from Ryan McInnes on 14 minutes saw the ball cleared behind for a Saints corner.

A fine Mackie corner found Wedderburn who saw his thumping header well saved by Manderson.

Bruce was called in to action on 18 minutes, pulling off a point blank save to deny McDonough.

Holden was fractionally too far ahead of a Buchan cross on 29 minutes.

Saints best chance of the half came on 33 minutes and involved Sturrock, Mackie and Lewis Elder and resulted in Mackie shooting inches wide of the far post.

The second started brightly for Oakley with Bruce pulling off a great save from Allan within a minute of the restart.

Saints captain Ricky Patrick thought he had scored on 51 minutes but somehow Manderson kept the goal bound effort out. Saints were granted a fantastic chance on 65 minutes when Elder was flattened in the box by Harrower and the referee pointed to the penalty spot.

Elder took the kick himself but as he took the kick his right foot slipped on the heavy surface and he put the ball high and wide of the goal. As so often happen, Saints were made to rue the miss just five minutes later.

Oakley were awarded a free kick just outside of the box. The kick cannoned off the underside of the bar and bounced over the line and then out.

tTe referee allowed play to continue and Rushford reacted quickest to ram the ball in to the net.