Saints march to win as the heavens open

Cupar in Maroonand St Andrews Amateurs in white play out the third/fourth place play-off
Cupar in Maroonand St Andrews Amateurs in white play out the third/fourth place play-off
Share this article

Those convinced summer football is a no brainer would be left pondering that after the first day of The KK Cup at The Parkk, the renamed home of St Andrews United.

Saints welcomed St Andrews Amateurs, Cupar Hearts and Thornton Hibs for the tournament, which at times was played in almost monsoon conditions.

In spite of the inclement weather both of the junior sides in the tournament showed no mercy to their amateur opponents as both ran out comfortable winners in their opening fixtures.

First up were Thornton and Cupar Hearts with the junior side 4-0 ahead by half time.

In the second half Cupar began to play and managed to compete a bit better but Craig Gilbert’s men remained control and ran out 7-2 winners.

Next it was time for the eagerly awaited St Andrews derby as Phil McGuire’s Saints took on Jimmy Aird’s new look St Andrews Amateurs.

United only had to wait until the 16th minute to take the lead when Ricky Patrick hit a shot which evaded the dive of Niven and ended up in the back of the net.

Patrick made it two on 18 minutes before Phil McGuire scored from a corner with a tap in.

Paddy Deane, Drummond and Patrick all added to the scoring before an own goal took the final score to 9-0.

The amateurs had two men sent off.

Sunday morning saw a total transformation in the weather and the third place play off between Cupar Hearts and St Andrews Amateurs took place in bright sunshine.

Gary Sutherland and Stephen Kinhart scored to secure third place for Cupar.

Both junior sides contested the final and Thornton were the first to show.

Darren Clarkson had to be alert as Gary Thompson whipped in an early cross from the left.

Saints took the lead on 18 minutes when Sibanda opened the scoring.

Sibanda then made it 2-0 on 54 minutes after he was put through by Holden.

United continued to press and Holden was unlucky not to add a goal to his two assists.

United secured victory and The KK Cup when Campbell did well on the left before whipping across an enticing ball which a trialist rifled home. Thornton managed a consolation through Chris Ireland.