Saints’ point may be crucial

Musselburgh v St Andrews
Musselburgh v St Andrews
Share this article

The point secured by St Andrews United in their 1-1 draw at Musselburgh’s Olivebank on Saturday may prove to be vital when the season ends.

However, the despondant looks on the players faces as they left the pitch went someway to show how disappointed they were that they couldn’t convert a dominant first half in to a victory.

With Manager Gus Malone away, the responsibility this week fell on the shoulders of assistant Allan Ramsay.

He was lucky enough to have Barry Sibanda passed fit before kick off but this was balanced by Ricky Patrick failing a fitness test on a niggling knee injury.

Muselburgh’s Dale Cornet was called in to action first to deny two early efforts from Gary Sutherland.

Saints began to take further control and were awarded a free kick on 17 minutes.

With Barry Sibanda in the side, there was only going to be one taker but this time Cornet pulled off a great save tipping the free kick wide.

Saints kept up the pressure and had an appeal for a penalty turned down after Barry Sibanda was pushed in the box on 35 minutes.

The big striker had a chance for retribuition a minutye later when United were awarded a free kick but Cornet was once again up to the job.

Saints took a deserved lead on 40 minutes when a corner was swung in by Sibanda and Sutherland rose majestically at the back post to glance the ball in to the top corner.

The second half was a different story.

Whatever Davie McGlynn had said to his side had been effective as Musselburgh pressure began to push United back and it was only a matter of time before the United defences were breached.

On 53 minutes Jackie Myles worked his magic on the left on to see Thomson poke his shot wide with the goal gaping.

The defence was finally holed on 74 minutes when Thomson’s effort made its way unchallenged in to McEwans bottom corner.

It was backs to the wall defending at the end for Saints but the held on to take a point.