Shellshocked Tayport are hit for six by Mussie

Clark Kay - number 6 goes close for Tayport.
Clark Kay - number 6 goes close for Tayport.



There was a sense of dismay at the Canniepairt as Tayport slumped to their heaviest defeat since joining the junior ranks 25 years ago.

Visiting Musselburgh netted six times without reply against Dave Baikie’s shell-shocked outfit.

Tayport actually made a bright start to the game with Matt Adam and Gary Sutherland both shooting over, while Clark Kay went close with a drive and a header which flashed narrowly past the post.

It was Mussie, however, who opened the scoring in bizarre circumstances.

With the assistant referee flagging for offside, ’keeper Richard Cargill placed the ball down to prepare to take a free kick.

In a bid to keep the game flowing, the referee decided to play advantage and did not blow his whistle with Musselburgh’s Brian Martin rolling the ball into an empty net.

Galling as it was to concede such a goal, ’Port did press for an equaliser, although John Dodds in the visitors’ goal was not unduly troubled. On the stroke of half-time Jed Davie played a smart one-two with Sean Jamieson, before slotting home to give the visitors a two-goal interval lead.

Neither side created much in the way of scoring opportunities early in the second half, but Jamieson eventually called Cargill into action and finished at the second time of asking.

A Jamieson cross was turned into his own net by an unfortunate Clark Kay as things began to unravel for the hosts. With Tayport pushing forward to gain some consolation, they were caught by two sucker-punch goals.

The experienced Sean Palizcka evaded the offside trap to round Cargill and score number five.

Towards the end of the match Palizcka again raced clear to chip over Cargill and complete the scoring on what had turned into a nightmare of an afternoon for the hosts.

Tayport - Cargill, Fleming, Kay, Anderson, Ovenstone, Rollo, Finlay, Suttie, Elvin, Adam, Sutherland.

Subs - Connelly, Docherty, Ramsay.