Shipyard boss quits after humiliating defeat

Myles Allan has resigned as Burntisland Shipyard manage
Myles Allan has resigned as Burntisland Shipyard manage

Burntisland Shipyard manager Myles Allan has quit following a humiliating 6-1 defeat to Peebles Rovers.

Allan handed in his resignation on Tuesday night after 20 months in charge of the East of Scotland First Division side.

Deeply frustrated after the weekend defeat, he feels he cannot take the team any further and has decided to call time on his career at Recreation Park.

His assistant Jason McCrindle has also left his post.

A Shipyard spokesman said: “The club would like to thank both of them for the hard work, time and effort they have put into their respective positions and wish them well in the future.”

Coach James Lock will take charge of the team, assisted by Lee Rough, until a new appointment is made.

Saturday’s 6-1 defeat at Peebles saw goal after goal gifted to the hosts in what was a woeful performance.

Burntisland fell behind after 33 minutes when Daniel McAleavey fired an angled strike across Mushet and into the bottom corner.

Three minutes later Peebles doubled their lead when Frankie Arthur was able to run onto a long ball and he lobbed Mushet.

Within minutes the Shippy conceded again in what was a carbon copy of the first goal, this time Sean Conaghan was the benefactor.

A fourth goal arrived in the 69th minute after a bit of uncertainty between Mushet and Alan Clark that saw the defender head the ball up in the air.

Rovers’ Scott Sutherland held off a challenge and knocked the ball into the net.

Shipyard scored their consolation goal in the 72nd minute when Napier netted with a superb finish.

Peebles rubbed salt into Shipyard wounds with two more goals in added time.

Andy MacDonald played a square ball across his own 18 yard line that left McAleavey to knock home his second of the match.

Dale Richardson completed the rout as he headed into the unguarded net.

This Saturday, Shipyard travel to Hawick Royal Albert for a league game. Kick-off 2.30 p.m.